What filler to cover rust damage?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by pathfinder_05, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. pathfinder_05
    Joined: Jan 2008
    Posts: 5
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 4
    Location: Home is the UK

    pathfinder_05 Junior Member

    Hi guys,

    I'm working on the deck of my steel 30ft Van de Stadt and there are some areas of rust that after grinding away at now need to be levelled/smoothed off again.

    Is there a method of filling or touching up areas of 'cosmetic rust damage'? If so, what percentage of the skin thickness is the maximum allowed depth to be filled/smoothed over before areas of metal have to be cut out?

    I have read through many previous posts and haven't found an answer, hope I'm not going over old stuff.

    Thanks for any help offered.

  2. BurnabyRocket61
    Joined: Mar 2008
    Posts: 19
    Likes: 1, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 20
    Location: North Vancouver BC Canada

    BurnabyRocket61 Junior Member

    Try Cold Cure epoxy from Industrial Formulators/System Three. Read their literature, it might be what your looking for. www.indform.com

    Remember to keep your head up and your stick on the ice.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.