What circular saw blade for plywood?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Trevlyns, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

I’m using 6mm exterior WBP ply on my project, but the ply chips badly with my standard circular saw (hand model, not a table saw).
    Looking through my wholesalers catalogue, I see a huge range of alternative blades ranging from 18 to 80 tooth.
    What would be most suitable for my project? Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

2. sailingman

sailingman New Member

hello
    It has been my expierence that a fine tooth blade is best for plywood. The 80 tooth option sounds fine.
    Good luck.

3. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Score your cut line with a sharp knife or cut from back face without too much blade protruding.

4. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Handy advice, thanks fellas!

5. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Roly is right a rule of thumb is to let only the carbide tooth protrude through the work no more, you will be fine.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Many, many teeth. And marginal depth (which doesn't track as well, so a straight edge would help). In addition, if you really want a perfect cut, and you own a router, get a bearing-piloted flush-cutting bit and first cut with the skilsaw to a sixteenth from the line. Then clamp a hardwood straightedge to the wood ON the line, and use the hardwood board as a guide to produce a super-square, super-straight finish cut.
    I used to use this meathod to build cabinet faces before I got a joiner. It's very accurate and controllable.

alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.