What about Navy's Stealth Destroyer - the Zumwalt

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by El_Guero, Oct 29, 2013.

1. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Oh and the reason natural gas is often found with oil is because of the dinosaur farts. True story. :)

2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I was stunned to read in 1950s World Book that(in late 50s) there was debate as to where oil came from and some folks though it was purely 'geological' without 'life'.

Wouldn't 'dead' oil be completely different and lacking all sorts of 'leavings' of animal based oil.

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I may get around to roughing up a design and posting on its own thread, but the idea would be that they would be the 'screening' vessels for high value supercarriers or helicopter carriers.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

>You are wrong. The price of fracking gas will skyrocket.<

In many industries the use of the futures market is used to hedge the price of fuel, gas, oil, coal.

The good folks that purchase N Gas do not seem to share your view , as seen in N Gas futures cost years out.

What do you know that the pros that are betting the survival of their companies are ignorant of?

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The market is flooded with gas because thier is no market for gas.. It is non fungable. Not exportable.

The cost of drilling for this gas is very high..5 to 10 times higher than mid east oil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26gas.html

Easy to harvest gas has rapidly been drilled..the future cost of extraction will be very high.

The enviromental damage is at present not added to gas production...this will change.
    http://[​IMG] sube imagenes

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

5 to 10 times higher than mid east oil.

In the mid east 5 to 10 times 1 or 2 bucks a BBL is hardly a big problem.

CNG is quite easy to export , either a pipe ot a special built tanker does the job.

The newest CNG tankers can operate on heavy oil, diesel or the melt off of a CNG cargo, which ever is cheapest , and will satisfy the air police in the area they are in.

Back in the 60-70s many areas had a hissy fit about importing CNG , as Long Island Sound and all of NY were only a spark from BOOM.

Club of Rome BS again.

With decades of no BOOM the production and export of N Gas will be a growth industry , till fusion gets started , maybe 25 maybe 125 years.

And of course the use of hydrocarbons to make plastic worldwide will continue.

Since even with high tech and insanely complex charging systems batteries still stink for transportation the electric car fad may die with tax $cuker $ubsidies

and carbon fiber epoxy tanks to hold CNG may lower the cost of driving in half.

7. schakel

schakel environmental project Msc

funny

:funny p

8. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

9. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I think the primary purpose of this new ship is to package an entirely new weapon, the rail gun, designed to hit targets 100 miles away. This is nearly double the range of contempory cannons.

The only problem is these rail guns are said to have a very short service life of perhaps 400 rounds, after which the rails wear out.

When I look at this vessel and consider its vulnerability to capsize, due to battle damage (the water plane gets narrower as the ship takes on water) I keep thinking of weapons systems which were supposed to be "retired" but have been brought back into service, time and time again. Two good examples are the A-10 ground support plane and the B-52 bomber.

It seems every time the US gets in a fight, these two relics get rolled back out, dusted off, and put back to work.

Though this new ship may prove to be a formidable weapon, I do agree its very high cost may make it a tempting target for an enemy.

10. schakel

Key to succes will be topspeed at sea. guess: between 40 and 60 Ktns?
    I would not want to be on that boat in heavy seas. My body no longer withstands forces of 4 G and that for hours on.

11. GTO

GTO Senior Member

Naval war gaming has shown that a higher top speed does nothing for ship survival. On the ocean, there is nowhere for a surface vessel to hide.
    Typically, the side that shoots first, and accurately, wins the day.

A cooperative engagement environment, which includes the fusion of multiple dispersed sensors and datalinked shooters, will greatly increase the odds of winning any fight, allowing active defenses to degrade the effectiveness of any incoming strike and optimizing the outgoing strike.

Since the time of Desert Storm, where I happened to be in a command post at the time Iraq nearly got nuked out of existence, the US has been working on sharing a common sensor picture. I know there are still issues but it has to be a lot better now than in 1991.

12. schakel

I am talking about how fast to get somewhere on a day that are perfect conditions. Plan a quite day with no waves, Topspeed to where you want to go. Catapult your extremely dangerous topbomber/fighter. Head home.
    How the bomber/fighter returns is question number 2.

13. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I thought that same thing when I first saw that 'private vessel design'.

14. brian eiland

At their current pricing I'd be surprised if they get to number 2 or 3 ???

15. brian eiland

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.