Whale breaches, lands on boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by troy2000, Jul 21, 2010.

1. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You need a new computer.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

No, he needs to learn to play well with others. He's obviously rattling my chain for his own amusement.

A pity he's turned this into a thread about him, instead of about the whale and the sailboat.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

In spite of the claim in the article about the whale breaking the 'steel' mast, I assume by looking at the splintered end that it's some sort of composite.

5. kroberts

kroberts Senior Member

6. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

This incident actually made headlines here in South Africa. The skipper is an instructor with a well known sailing academy in Cape Town.

What actually happened according to the skipper; - a motorboat kept circling the the whale and as his sailboat got closer, the whale submerged and the next thing, the whale broke water next to his boat and launched itself onto the deck, snapping the mast off at the deck.

Now the authorities actually want to charge the skipper for getting to close to the whale, but fail to take steps with the powerboat that high tailed away...

Submarine tom, such things as this do happens at times, although it a rare event - why doubt it and the person posting it?

7. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

When the photos of the damage are all very clear, the only legitimate question is how on earth did anyone got so fortunate as to take that picture at that precise point in time. Who is this magic photographer? From which boat? Not too early, not too late...and the skipper...well he must have nerves of steel. Did not even blink...well from what you can see anyway, cool as a cucumber.
    No photo of the barnacles and the skin left behind...hum...

I give it 50/50 ... Ok ok may be 60/40 ;)

8. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Ever been to Cape Town harbour? Quite a busy place and a whale there is quite a big attraction, which means sightseers, all who want a piece of the action.

A person on a boat happened to take the photos and spectators to the event plentiful. Our National newspapers carried this event and surely, they will not make fools of themselves and so the spectators.
    When the story broke in the papers, it was only witness accounts and the damage of the boat to prove it.
    The spectacular series of photos only came later when the person who took them, presented it to the owner of the damaged boat as an souvenir.

Anyhow, the victim has nothing to prove to doubting souls.

BTW, all the photos and videos shown all over the world of the 2010 FIFA soccer event was not from South Africa - you were all conned, it was filmed in some Hollywood studios...;)

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thanks for the pics.
    Incredible event. What an insurance claim ! Had it not been a strong vessel....

Wynand
    I was in Cape Town in the 70's We sailed in my first view of SA was table mountain. Had friends in Kirstenbosh we found a walk up the mountain I think it was Captain Ladds walk which went up from the Botanic Gardens it is a beautiful location for a city.

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

I reiterate, these stupid animals jump a lot, people take a lot of pics. I believe the motives are true even if the pic were fake. This wasn't the Sun or Enquirer, there is not much motivation to fake, it wud be relatively easy to get a pic like that with a motordrive camara (altho I think this was a digital).

11. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Still no picture of the black goo and barnacles left behind. That is what intrigues me the most.

I see broken boats all the time, but never black goo and barnacles.. (at least not on deck...)

12. uncleralph

uncleralph Junior Member

In don't think it is a hoax, but there is one thing that looks odd to me. In the picture with the whale breaching, the skipper appears to be looking straight ahead not over at this giant thing about to land on his boat.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

My guess is that the camera caught him just as he was starting to react. According to his girlfriend, he ducked behind the steering wheel.

14. mark775

mark775 Guest

A pro will always be thinking about his crew and boat rather than gawking at the threat. It doesn't seem odd to me.
    Being a skeptic. I looked close at the pics (to the pixel level where I thought they might be doctored) to find an indescrepency. I didn't catch anything. I haven't been around too many right whales but were this a humpback, I'd say "par for the course". They really have no clue, I have been trying to run slow thru a bunch only to have one come up, mouth open, under the bow of the boat so close one could look right down their maw. I have seen them breech under boats and lift them from the water, I have hit them, hooked them, had them tangle in my rode. When they get in the mood to jump, one just has to back up a little and enjoy the show.

15. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

admit it Brent, its your demolition derby

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.