Westlawn Student needing Powerboat Design help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dishsail, Feb 12, 2006.

1. dishsail

dishsail Junior Member

Hello Fellow Designers:

I am currently studying my fourth lesson within the program and having difficulty with understanding how to go about design the 36 ft. Power Cruiser we are requested to design for this lesson. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where I can look to find an article or book that will give me some basic understanders and other helpful information in order to understand powerboat design.

I am having difficulty with understanding some of the angles within a powerboat design. Look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks.

2. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

Get Principles of Naval Architecture from SNAME. Good basic stuff on planing hulls.

3. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

How about some parametric study? Find all production boats for dimensions, weigth and power.

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

What "angles" are you having trouble with?
    I'd suggest contacting your instructor (Stu?) with questions directly re,ating to course info.
    In general, all the info you require is contained in the texts and student guide

5. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Get the Small Craft CD also, and if you can start looking for a copy of Lindsay Lord's book and Peter DuCane's book.

6. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Dishsail:
    Those two, also Phillips Birt's "The Naval Architecture of Small Craft" and, if you read spanish, Juan Baader's "Cruceros y Lanchas Veloces"

7. kjell

kjell Senior Member

Where can I by the spanish, Juan Baader's "Cruceros y Lanchas Veloces"[/

8. Guillermo

I'll search for you, to find out if there is some place where they still have one, and then let you know.

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Funny, I have Juan Baader in a dutch translation, I understand a few words :)

10. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Also, Cyrus Hamlin's book. It is in print by Cornell Maritime and available through Amazon.

11. Guillermo

Kjell,
    I've been searching for Juan Baader's book and...nothing. Sorry.
    If you need something in particular from the book, I have one at the office and can scan and send you what needed.

12. yago

yago __

You should check out the Westlawn forum for this, there are examples and quite a lengthy discussion about this particular exercise, and Stu the other students will answer any other questions you might have.
    This is not really an exercise for designing powerboats, but for understanding the volumes inside a hull and the task is to design a profile (no underwater parts) and a layout concept that "makes sense" and would fit, avoiding common beginner mistakes like floors right up to the hull sides, doors that can't open, bulkhead in the middle of a porthole or profiles that would not seem to fit standing headroom etc. so it's really not about designing hulls, or power considerations or anything like that.

13. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Dishsail
    From my memory lesson four is a design preliminary sketch of profile and arrangement. Your best bet is to look and study other designs of a similar craft to get a feel for your project. Then go for it because that’s what design is all about, this is about style and space.

good luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.