well balanced catboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by adriano, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

SeaJay You might consider rigging it as a cat yawl . The mizzen won't intrude into the accommodation or the cockpit and you won't have to move the main mast if you get the lead wrong. Just adjust the size of the mizzen Although its main function would be for balance, it just might provide enough drive so that you can have a main of more manageable proportions . The boom is also handy for loading stores or even a dingy. Another thing is that as you progressively reef the main, the center of effort, though lower remains roughly the same fore and aft. I have a cat ketch and love the rig but it has been my experience that the mizzen is negatively impacted by the main (except on a broad reach or wing on wing) to the extent that although of equal size it might provide 25% of the drive. The bigger Wylie cats are cat ketch rigged but the I think the mizzens are only as large as need be to allow a mainsail of manageable size. This is a purely subjective opinion based on my own experience and I may be completely wrong .

2. SeaJay

SeaJay Senior Member

Timothy,

Thanks for the suggestion about a yawl rig. I've had the same idea in the back of my mind in case there are balance issues. I wouldn't suprise me if just the Wylie 17 rig provided enough lift, that far aft, to balance the main if I have problems. I don't think I'm really that far off with the main as I have it planned, but I'll just have to wait and see.

I think you're probably on the right track regarding the sizing of the Wylie cat ketch mizzens. He goes to the ketch rig above 48'.

Regards,

3. SeaJay

SeaJay Senior Member

Timothy,

Your suggestion of a cat yawl rig for my boat got me curious and I did a Google search and lo and behold, came across one of your earlier threads on a similar subject.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/junk-lateen-yawl-22225.html#post246866

(I really wish I had the time/talent to create those great rendered drawings!)

I was very impressed by the rig ideas you posted in the thread. I’ve looked at Hoyt’s rig and don’t think I’ve got the time, energy, or money to pursue that design path, but your renderings really demonstrate what I think would be a very efficient and effective sail plan. I am a long ways from rigging my boat but would am very interested in seeing what you come up with. Please keep the forum appraised of your progress.

Sea Jay

4. matt H.

matt H. Junior Member

I am kinda new to the cat boats and boats for any of that matter
    recently scored big on a fixer upper solcat 18

first thing I worked on was designs of safety ( safety first )
    came up with a idea of using a roll up ladder connected to the mast
    so one could climb up and alas the boat is righted and the flipee or flipped or fallen
    is close to being on the boat after flipping , this solved more than one
    issue and my fears , getting bonked by the boat as it came down
    and the boat taking off and not being on it .

the flipping of a boat , any boat just doesn't sound right and tec isn't right

so ok ,
    I know its nothing new of a design, a wider cat ,
    by having the beam wide its going to create leverage just how much leverage do you need.
    so any who , I think if one could have telescoping beams
    you could make any leverage you wanted without adding to much weight

5. Paul No Boat

Paul No Boat Junior Member

I am the same Matt.

Pleased to meet you. I have been following this and other threads just to listen in to all the pros/cons of the catboat as its basic design offers a lot to me. I live a short drive from several large lakes and the convergence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. And I hope to some day do a little coastal cruising and camp sailing on Puget Sound where my daughter lives.

I like the catboat design not only for its beauty and simplicity but because its roominess and ability to move under not much power would make it an excellent power launch while I get the hang of sailing a basic rig.

6. Paul No Boat

um Matt yer talking about a catamaran we are talking about monohull Catboats duh I just caught that.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

8. Paul No Boat

google rightfully gets the credit, PAR all I did was type "Solcat 18" into a search box.

Matt, don't let me deter you from particpating in the discussion, tho. Your input is as valid as mine.

9. matt H.

matt H. Junior Member

yeah I did some googling after I wrote that

my mistake :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.