Weismann Surface drive with transmission

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by OCB, Jan 3, 2018.

1. OCB

OCB Junior Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    DogCavalry likes this.
  2. HandMan

HandMan Junior Member

Very cool but I wonder what it's like throttling through heavy seas.

3. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

This is fantastic! I love the discussion of the linked article, and the video showing the transmission gearing up during different phases of acceleration.

4. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

And the engine layout!

5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Question. For those who didn’t follow the link, the fellas who built this boat used a brilliant engine arrangement, but they also used a pair of auto transmissions with the LS7’s. The video shows the boat running up through the gears, from getting on plane to well above a hundred mph. They won every race they ran in. 11 in a row. Until the league banned auto engines, so their boat couldn’t compete anymore. Sore losers.

Anyway, since it’s been established elsewhere that multi speed transmissions are useless in boats, it doesn’t make sense for the league to ban them. They’d only be worth banning if they gave an unfair advantage. Which they wouldn’t do, unless the multi speed transmission gave significant performance advantages, which we know it doesn’t.

And even then, it still doesn’t make sense. If they’d beaten me, I’d just adopt what they did and beat them at their own game.

So can anyone help me understand how they used a 3 speed transmission to advantage?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019 at 11:33 AM
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.