Weight Distribution

Discussion in 'Stability' started by nimblemotors, Feb 22, 2012.

1. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

The old cat I have isn't a Wharram design, but it is almost the same as one.
    In Wharram boats, they use an outboard in the middle.
    My question is general, but yes I am redoing this boat.
    I am unlikely to use an outboard like a Wharram.

This boat was built with 1500-2000lbs of mast in the bow area,
    which will most likely be removed.
    It will be a completely different boat when I'm done.

That I don't know what I'm doing and should hire a boat designer is rather useless advice, no designer will be hired. I'm learning and WILL be modifying this boat. I don't care much about it being fast, but I do
    care about having it sink in the middle of the pacific. Again, if your advice is to stay on land, that is also useless advice. It WILL be taken out into the pacific.

I thank all who contribute to my knowledge and understanding.

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I didn't mean to be rude or try to squash your dream. Just didn't want you to start building a boat if your clueless about some of these issues involved. I am not a naval engineer, but I am an amateur with a lot of experience, over 30 years building and running boats. One thing I learned, you cannot push a boat too much beyond its designed numbers or it starts acting wacky. Keep your weight and horsepower similar to what it can with or tread lightly. On a cat lighter is always better.

3. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

I am trying to get some clues before I build, thus the questions. I've read through a lot of these archives, and there is lots of useful information. It is really the others that follow and read the archives who you are helping.

My cat will be more a "condomaran" than a sailing vessel.
    It will be my home, it must be reliable and safe. If I can add weight to make it more so than I think its a good tradeoff vs performance,
    particularly when the weight has value, like redundant engine or fuel, etc.

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Adding weight to a design makes a catamaran less safe and less seaworthy. Be very careful.

Do not, under any circumstances, exceed the dwl or displacement.

You really need to talk to someone with specific experience in this particular design before you wreck it. It's not a house. It's a vehicle like a car or airplane. It is dynamic and needs to perform as designed. It is easy to destroy a boat (especially a multihull) by adding things it wasn't designed for. Get on the Warram group or contact to original builder for information.

Adding weight to a catamaran is the opposite of safe. That line of reasoning is more suited to monohulls.

Do you know the wl displacement as well as the current displacement?

I'm worried. You are approaching this from the wrong angle.

1 person likes this.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I did same analysis, ended up with a monohull. Cats don't like weight, they become tipssy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.