Wave interference in catamarans

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by dustman, Dec 1, 2020.

1. dustman

dustman Junior Member

I was reading a debate(argument) about wave interference in catamarans on this site.

Someone made the point that the finer the hulls are the less of an issue wave interference between the hulls is. By this I think he meant less wave means less wave interference and thus less potential resistance. This makes perfect sense to me but Ad Hoc wasn't having it. Can someone make sense of this debate?

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Dustman, I think that the main criteria is probably the spacing of the hulls, rather than how fine the hulls are, relatively.

This research paper by Mustafa Insel and Tony Molland is one of the early classic references on this topic - there are many more if you ask Google to find some for you.
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...ponents_of_high_speed_displacement_catamarans

If the maths is a bit too complicated, just read the conclusions at the end.

I would not dispute what Ad Hoc says about this subject - he has had a lot of experience in this field.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    rxcomposite likes this.