waterspeed record

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dan Ellison, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Dan Ellison

Dan Ellison Junior Member

Those interested in seeing pictures can google, B&R racing liquidquik. This was the 1st one of the 3 I've built. shows the hull being rigged with hardware, V-drives,Capsule ect. Will give you an idea of the outrigger concept. This hull won a national event this year(they never made a final until my hull)They have run 5sec at over 237 in the 1/4mile.

2. stonebreaker

stonebreaker Senior Member

No, I don't want to trap air under the central portion of the boat - I only want to use the sea sled shape to cut friction by trapping air under the pontoons only. I don't have the math skills to calculate the boat's performance, and since I really don't have much of an idea of how fast this boat can go with the engine I have available to use (online calculators are guessing between 55 and 90 mph), I didn't want to risk a blowover. That's why I was asking about your sponsons, I realized you were using the same idea (only more refined and better engineered).

3. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

4. stonebreaker

Yeah, they're exactly what I'm looking for - you can see in the third pick that Arfons is using sea sled hulls in exactly the way I'm planning on. I can't tell you how encouraging it is to realize I came up with the same idea as Art Arfons! (except for the part with the jet engine and the wheels :p ).

5. stonebreaker

Hey Dan,

I was reading up on some of the other guys who are planning a water speed record attempt, and one of them mentioned the difficulty in modeling what the boat does as it hits waves and bounces around, and how the forces build as the speed increases. It got me thinking - do the struts connecting your sponsons to the main hull flex at all? I was wondering if a little flex built into the struts might not act like suspension. Or maybe build an actual suspension with springs and shocks? It would certainly help when hitting a stray wake at 300 mph.

6. Dan Ellison

No, it is not meant to flex. That can cause the attack angle and deadrise to change, creating more drag on one sponson causing the hull to pull left or right,Not good at over 200+mph. Deadrise and sponson shape dictate how it will handle wakes. My RC models are raced in some rough water. This boat was designed off of that model.(which still hold several heat race records)A properly balanced hull will fly level,even if it's off the water. It's still a hydroplane.

7. RatliffFranklin

RatliffFranklin Previous Member

Dynamics

Warby's record setting "Spirit of Australia" was always exhibiting some degree of sponson walking.

Campbell's "Bluebird" on the other hand planed dead level with rocksolid stability.

Ironic, huh?

http://www.racingcampbells.com/content/boats.asp

The webpage above has a great cutaway drawing showing "Bluebird" in its 1955 configuration.

8. Dan Ellison

Your right about Warby's sponson walk. I still believe that the outrigger design is superior in stability. Warby's hull was very narrow and was an airtraping type of hull. Looked alot like Lee Taylors. I'm trying to push a small amount of air with a large footprint. Also an outrigger lets you get away with less weight.Thanks for more bluebird pictures,That boat was ahead of its time.

9. RatliffFranklin

Craig Arfons

Craig's last run in his jet hydroplane was the first time that boat had ever been run on glass smooth water.

In the video you can see, as Craig was still in dry thrust accelerating out of the cove at the north end of the lake, a distinct regular pitching oscillation where the sponsons were dipping in and out of the water. The pitching seemed to diminish when he hit the afterburner, but go up in frequency.

I wonder if this was a noticeable but insignificant quirk of the boat's behavior, or a characteristic of the Deaver hulls?

10. RatliffFranklin

Bluebird

The more I've learned about high speed boats the farther ahead of its time Bluebird seems to me.

With dragboats now pushing 260 mph they're actually going faster than most of the Bluebird records.

Since that's being done with air trap hulls it's makes me wonder what a small outrigger boat can do with the WSR.

http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~climengs/bluebird/coniston.htm

The above webpage has a picture worth a thousand words photo of Bluebird's transom. The late Ken Norris believed that had Campbell applied the water brake first then reduced throttle he may have saved the boat.

11. Dan Ellison

The gains in drag boats is because of the success of the twindrives. Counterotating propellers have provided them with more stability.The airtrap hulls used today are made very heavy to keep them on the water and it takes alot of hp to move that weight(7000+hp). On the other hand the 1st team using my outrigger is able to get the same performance with far less hp(4500). They haven't tapped into to the boats potential. Take out the drives,shafts,struts,props, All the gear to run the fuel engine and I could get the jet boat in the 2000lb range easy. Just a thought.

12. stonebreaker

Anyone know if Art Arfons ever tested his 'wheeled boat' back in 1967-68? From the lack of info it obviously never went for the record, but I'm curious to know if his wheel concept worked. I'm guessing it didn't since there only seems to be info on 'before', but I'd still like to know what happened.

13. RatliffFranklin

Weight

Craig's boat weighed about 2,500 lbs.

I think using the outrigger concept an even lighter boat would be very doable.

14. RatliffFranklin

Art Arfons Boat

Unfortunately, Art didn't get sponsorship so the potential of his concept remains an unknown.

15. stonebreaker

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.