Warped plane vs constant deadrise

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Thank you Terho.
    There can be this combined image will help us with a question about "hook"? Now I can't understand about what you speak, Will.

Dim.

Attached Files:

2. Dim

Dim Senior Member

I have understood, Will.

All began that I have not understood that you want. And you have not understood above what I work. I have put before myself a task to simulate the hull on the philosophy, if so it's possible to tell, very close to "Andreyale 15m". Simply to copy is not interestingly and silly.
    But any other boat which answers your inquiries is necessary for you. In it the reason of all your questions. I just now have understood it.
    To me it is interesting "Andreyale 15m" and I continue above it to work.
    The most interesting, that "Andreyale 15m" really accelerates speed in 20 knots on two engines on 165 hp! On how many I can judge it.

Dim.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

No - I think we've both understood each other all along - I know you've been trying to re-create the "Andreyale" as close as you can - I'm simply interested in how the various parts of the design affect performance.
    I too am drawn to this boat because of it's performance.... though if you go back to the boats built 40 + years ago, this kind of efficiency was not uncommon. I guess that the consumer demand for more and more accomodation space has resulted in fat, heavy and very inefficient boats. When one like this comes along we are reminded that speed need not require huge quantities of fuel....

Terhohalme: Thanks for your comments. And I concur with your reasoning.... it makes me wonder once more why so many boats designed to operate at these sorts of speeds incorporate constant deadrise, deep vee hulls.....

4. Dim

Dim Senior Member

I want to thank everyone who participates in this discussion.
    Many thanks Will for a very interesting design task.
    Many thanks mmd and Terho for very interesting comments.

Dim.

5. Dim

Dim Senior Member

some steps ahead

Comparison of images of two hulls and dimensions of engines which are possible for establishing on my boat have led me to ideas, that it's necessary for me to increase height of the hull's board.
    As a first approximation it is accepted:
    engine's model: "Deutz TD229-6", 109kW ("c"-mode),
    transmission's model: "ZF 45 A", 2.435:1.
    Images of two views of the engine were vectorized from the PDF-document. The vectoring has turned out not so high quality, but sufficient for preliminary arrangement.
    The shaft's angle is equal 12 degrees from level.

Dim.

Attached Files:

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Dim, you should check with the engine manufacturer to find out at what maximum angle the engines can be installed. Twelve degrees is a bit extreme. A down-angle gearbox (usually 7 degrees) will make the engine installation angle better and will lower the deck height needed to clear the engines.

7. yipster

yipster designer

Hi guy's,
    Its a very interesting subject i've been thinking about also for many years.
    yes, the hulls board up a little more and downscaling everything -i'm fantasising again- it fits O1, you may have some competition there Will ;-)
    Dim, i'm not a pro, can you roughly estimate economy gains of a warped plane slender semi planning design over a wider body constant deep V or must i make time and start calculating your numbers?
    This not so elegant hard chine patrolboat follows the same design priciples i belive. The keel on this one prevents the stern from sliding away in a following sea i asume? I -personally- like this modern deckhouse, even the up front bridge model -with sometimes steering cables running over the deck backwards- better than a nostalgic deckhouse. Allways did like those boats, till looking inside one and seeing the giant engine and was told about its consumption.
    Just letting you know i'm following this with interest. yipster

8. Willallison

'Andrayale' doesn't incorporate prop tunnell's , but this too would allow you to reduce the shaft angle. And as Yipster refers to, I think the addition of a small keel would improve down-sea handling.

Yipster - this is a much prettier design than the hull I posted way back for O-1, but the biggest problem would be all the complex curvature in the surfaces. Remember O-1 must be achievable for the 1st time home-builder and be built out of flat panels of one kind or another - foam core or plywood....

But you're overlay image suggests that you have the same freeboard as the 'Andrayale' - and they manage to fit the engines in Dim....

9. Dim

Dim Senior Member

In the first, let to thank All You for your comments once again.

Thanks mmd and Will ( the end of his last post ) for the very correct remark. I think only about this, when wrote the message to Friday.
    I have no information on possible angle of an inclination of the engine at present. But at present this information is not necessary for me. Why?
    I always try to visualize a constructive problem if it is possible for making quickly. In this situation I wanted to receive the maximal height of a "engine room". If the engine will have a smaller install angle I through transmission can sustain 12 degrees necessary for me. I not deeply studied a question of profitability of use of this or that engine at the given stage. Therefore I am not confident, that this model of the engine will be used by me at the further stages of work. The corner in 12 degrees takes place to be on a boat " Andreyale 15m ". I have measured this angle on combined to pictures.
    I on it to week want to engage in study of design of superstructures. It now the most interesting to me. The idea has come to me when I went home from work on Friday. It is necessary to start to model it.

Dim.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

mmd,

I have consulted with our expert about engines's installation.
    His opinion is those.
    The majority of engines type without problems are established with angle of inclination of 5 degrees inclusive. If a angle - more - it is necessary to contact to firm - manufacturer.
    ( I in the given situation do not think possible to disturb such firm dear by me, as "Deutz" ).
    But "ZF 45 A" has an inclination of a output shaft to equal 8 degrees. 8 + 5=13.
    The problem can be solved.

Dim.

11. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Sorry, I forgotten login again.

Dim.

12. Dim

Dim Senior Member

That at me it has turned out. It to not like me, but I have decided to show it to you.
    Angle of the engine's inclination - 4 degrees from level. Propeller shaft - 12 degrees from level.

Dim.

Attached Files:

13. Dim

Dim Senior Member

The general view.

Dim.

Attached Files:

14. Willallison

I see you have chosen to move away from the styling of the 'Andreyale' for your cabin styling Dim.
    I like the steps built into the transom. I'll wait 'till we see the final images before I pass judgement on your styling....;)

15. Dim

Dim Senior Member

Ok, Will.
    Some, very, very small progress.
    From next week I shall have the rest for two weeks.
    Probably, at me time will think of domestic conditions. :)
    Let's meet in two weeks.

Dim.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.