wakeboard boat help please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by scott88, Aug 26, 2007.

1. scott88

scott88 New Member

Hey I'm vary new to boats and boat design but i would like to build and design my own, i purchased a book titled the complete guide to metal boats building maintenance and repair by Bruce Roberts-Goodson but it does not go into the type of boat that I'm interested in, do any of you know of any books, websites, articles, or programs that can help

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Scott you did not directly explain the purpose of the boat. Wakeboard boat? Is that a boat that puts up a big wake the better to surf upon?

If you are new to boats, then please procede cautiously in designing and or building your own boat. There is much to know or you risk shooting yourself in the foot. The forum guys will be able to give you some information when we learn, specificly, what you are after.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Scott,
    So you want a wakeboard boat, eh?
    Designing your own, I'm sad to say, will probably prove disappointing. Successful wakeboard boats must run level and provide a very specific wake shape at speeds substantially lower than most normal planing boats can comfortably cruise. The hydrodynamics are challenging enough that the big manufacturers (Malibu, Mastercraft, Tige, etc) have invested millions of dollars in research and design efforts (including several dozen expensive unsuccessful prototypes each) to get the ski and wakeboard boats they have today.
    You can of course wakeboard behind just about anything, but if wakeboarding is the primary use of the boat, I'd suggest you consider looking at the used market for an inboard ski boat or wakeboard boat in need of some work. Any inboard ski boat, ballasted down, will produce an acceptable boarding wake. If you go back ten or twenty years in the used market, you should be able to find a decent hull in need of cosmetic and engine work at a reasonable price. This way, you get all the fun of the build/restore process, without the anxiety and disappointment that accompanies a totally new design.

messabout- see photo below, the tow line is tied to a pole or tower about two metres above the cockpit sole of the tow boat.
    Riders like a particular wake size and shape to help them get the upward kick that allows them to fly like that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  4. scott88

scott88 New Member

to messabout sorry about being so vague I'm interested in a boat similar to a Malibu Wake setter 247 LSV but perhaps made out of steel or aluminum it does not need to exactly like one but similar, but the reason i ask is because i am vary interested in building boats but don't have the time for classes on the subject.

to marshmat thank you for your input that probably would be a better idea than designing my first boat from scratch Evan if i where just to replicate the hull

5. Jratte

Jratte Junior Member

Not to discourage you Scott, but if you don't have the time for classes, you may not have the time to design and build your own boat. There are far more boat projects started, than finished. This could however work to your advantage. The idea of finding a used hull and working on that to suit your needs seems like it may be the best compromise. Imagine spending all that time designing and building only to have it not work out. That would truly be sad, but working off of a proven design could be a hug time and money saver for you.

Also what is your attraction to steel or aluminum for this boat? Do you have a good deal of metalworking experience? To build a boat successfully out of these material you'll need to be a skilled fabricator and welder. Also for the size of the boat you're talking about, wood or fiberglass may be better suited.

Have you looked at any designs available that you could build on your own? Again that would save you the design time and likely give you a proven design. This is of course all just my two cents, hope it helps a bit. Best of luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.