Voyage to Atlantis

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Yobarnacle, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Power and money? Depends on your church. :D
    Nobody in my church getting rich from religion.

2. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

You have it bass ackward. Humans annually produce ~100 times the amount of CO2 as do volcanoes.

Volcanic Gases and Climate Change Overview | US GEOLOGIC SURVEY

3. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

The figures for Co2 human v volcano emissions as you say humans 100/volcanos 1 but there lies the issue. The entire focus is gas emissions where in fact its the particle emissions that do the real damage.
    Co2 is to a large degree absorbed but the particles remain in the layers above our planet for a very long time reflecting sunlight. The effect not much different from earlier catastrophic asteroid events that caused natural changes to the planet.

While we cannot afford to underestimate our impact we also cannot afford to overate our ability to compete with the global mechanism of the planet. Nothing is constant and change or shifts is in the natural order of our planet. How can we seriously believe we have the power to change a planet's processes when the planet we stand on is it self never still being locked in a creative process

We may be the butterfly beating wings but it's the planet that makes the hurricane.

1 person likes this.
  4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We are basically along for the ride and the Earth will do with us as it will and there ain't squat we can do about it.

5. ImaginaryNumber

You are correct that the sulfuric aerosols that volcanoes emit contribute more to atmospheric cooling than the CO2 that they emit contributes to atmospheric warming, and it is also true that those aerosols can cause ozone destruction at high latitudes. But you are incorrect in thinking that the volcanic aerosols last longer than volcanic (or human-emitted) CO2.

Atmospheric Aerosols: What Are They, and Why Are They So Important? | NASA
    Atmospheric CO2 residence time

6. Yobarnacle

I wouldn't buy a used car from the IPCC. Forget them. Throw the bums out!

7. Yobarnacle

More on Atlantis.

While the Mesopotamia Plain in South America appears to match EXACTLY the description of Atlantis by Plato. And South America IS a continent sized "island" as described and IS in front of Gibralter, and DOES have other islands and a 2nd continent as Plato describes, and DOES have a two harvest climate, ect, ect...That hasn't ALWAYS been true!

The earth is currently in an interglacial, and the last glacial period ended about 10,000 years ago. All that remains of the continental ice sheets are the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and smaller glaciers such as on Baffin Island.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

and Athens, who supposedly FOUGHT with Atlantis has existed for...
    "Filled with ancient monuments and museums dedicated to Greek art, visiting Athens is like taking a trip back in time. The city's recorded history goes back over three millennia,"

And Egypt, from where supposedly the story originated only existed...
    "The history of Ancient Egypt spans the period from the early predynastic settlements of the northern Nile Valley to the Roman conquest in 30 BC. The Pharaonic Period is dated from around 3200 BC, when Lower and Upper Egypt became a unified state, until the country fell under Greek rule in 332 BC." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_ancient_Egypt

so what do we do with Plato's timeline of 9000 years earlier?

"Atlantis (Greek: Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος, "island of Atlas") is a legendary island first mentioned in Plato's dialogues Timaeus and Critias, written in c. 360 BC. According to Plato, Atlantis was a naval power lying "across the Pillars of Hercules" that conquered many parts of Western Europe and Africa 9,000 years before the time of the legendary Athenian lawgiver Solon, i.e. in the 10th millennium BC. After a failed attempt to invade Athens, Atlantis sank into the ocean "in a single day and night of misfortune." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis

Typo error?

900 years instead of 9000? Maybe? :)

8. Yobarnacle

9. Yobarnacle

Attached Files:

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Thor Heyerdahl proved it was do-able.

11. Titirangi

Imaginary Number, thanks for your info, the breakdown & timelines are interesting.
    Aside from C02 and sulphuric aerosols, what do you think are the short and long effects on the planet system from having 100,000metric tonnes of volcanic ash released into the atmosphere.

This too must have a collective impact again similar to asteroid impacts that changed or caused climate shifts.

Re. Oceans - I hope to post an update based on data collected from beacon rafts released over the entire Pacific Ocean region that constantly report back measurement of sea temps, wave, pressure gradients etc. The info has been providing a really interesting picture of over past 5yrs to compare against historic data.

I'm just a layman not a scientist only interested spectator involved in gathering data, it seems to me that provided we take care of our oceans the oceans will be able to maintain the necessary balance of the planetary engine to ensure we have a place to continue living.

12. Titirangi

Yobarnacle, my apologies I've unintentionally tacked your thread onto another coarse.

13. Yobarnacle

No apologies necessary. I've unintentionally hijacked so many threads, I'm fortunate NOT to be banned.

But this thread is about myths, and evidence for and against they might indeed be true.

I started it, because I stumbled across the Atlantis in S America theory and wanted to share my excitement.

In of itself, not a lengthy topic.

MYTHS though, are inexhaustible.

I only request we restrict posts to myths having something to do with the sea and boating. Urban myths don't belong. :)
    AGW is right at home here! :D

14. ImaginaryNumber

Volcanic ash | WIKIPEDIA
    Volcanic Ash: Effects & Mitigation Strategies | US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY
    What will really happen when the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts?
    A 'thank you' to Yobarnacle for graciously permitting this mythical digression. :)

15. Titirangi

I was on leave from Cebu shipyard staying at the cane farm hacienda home of a friend just 45km from Mt Pinatubo in 19991 when it blew. The 3ft of grey snow that fell the first night and kept falling was enough to tell me time to go. Two months later I went back, the entire cane farm located in an amazing valley was unrecognizable buried under twenty feet of ash.
    I'm told that this event and others since (Indonesia) put a belt of ash around the planet some in the last century lasting long enough for momentary rise in sea temps and cause climate shift.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.