Victoria Eighteen Sailboat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Harold Anderson, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Harold Anderson

Harold Anderson Junior Member

Looking for owners of Victoria Eighteen Sailboats. Want to discuss modifications. Please email me at handerson1958@yahoo.com
    Thanks Harold

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Victoria 18

Harold, I'm not an owner but I am curious about what mods you had in mind?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'm very familiar with the Victory 18, having repaired and restored a few. So, you need rudder repairs too . . .

4. Harold Anderson

Harold Anderson Junior Member

I am looking to reduce weather helm. It's bad! Boat wants to round up all the time and I am constantly using pressure to control the rudder with the tiller. Have tried changing mast rake with very little improvement if any. Moved gear all over the boat also with no effect. Thought of mabey a bow sprit. I guess they built a couple of cutter rigged victoria eighteens supposedly to cope with the weatherhelm. What about a ketch rig? A small mizzen mabey? Also the sleeping arrangements are horrible. I think they were designed for midget midgets! No harm intended. The accomodations are port and starboard on the sides. Please reply if you have ideas about the weatherhelm. I am a novice and don't know where to go from here. I don't want to be fighting the tiller the entire trip though thats for sure. Thanks Harold

5. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Question: Does it seem worst when the boat is heeling? Most boats develop huge amounts of weather helm when heeled to leeward - and they lose weather helm when kept flat. There are tons of good explanations for this - best explained on sailing technique DVDs.

Try keeping the boat dead level - and even a little windward heel can help with weather helm. Actively moving around in the boat to maintain trim helps.

--
    CutOnce

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Harold, you inexperience as a sailor is very likely the cause of the weather helm sensation you are feeling. This isn't a personal dig at you, but an observation from many that have sailed one with limited experience.

The Vic 18 wants to sail on her hear, not flat, which is one of the big problems most have with her, they tend to over sheet the old gal, trying in vain to right her, which just makes her ***** and moan, offering a lot of helm pressure to remind you to ease the sheets. Her preferred angle of heel is 12 degrees or more, depending on wind strength.

The rudder on this boat was a source of difficulty and not as well shaped as it could be. Most make modifications. The factory made a shorter version called the Victoria 17, but with a transom hung rudder, which solved the issue.

The cutter rig was an option, but very few were actually built (3 or 4) and it wasn't to address a weather helm issue, but to satisfy a perceived client demand. The sloop is the better sailor by far. The rudder was redesigned a few times and reports of the later models are that they work better (what year is yours?).

There was once a web site for them and a discussion forum, but I don't know if it's still active. They made 300 or 400 of these boats and there are many in my area, most can be had for next to nothing. As a keel boat goes they get killed by more modern canoe bodies and being the shoal draft version of a Minuet 18, it lacked ability to windward too.

The rudder needs more area, which is usually tacked on aft. Since this is a part that often needs to be rebuilt, I've modified everyone I've worked on with good results. I added about 20% more area to the trailing edge and reshaped it for better flow.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

8. strattm

strattm New Member

Hello: I hope you are still active on this site. I have recently acquired a Victoria 18. The rudder is not attached to the hull at the bottom any longer. Seems to be missing a pin or bolt which served as the pintle. Can you point me to a place to find out what is missing and where to get a replacement part? Thank you. Mike

9. strattm

strattm New Member

Hi :I have recently acquired a Victoria 18 and have a rudder question. I'm missing the pin in the bottom of the rudder that holds it to the hull. Trying to find out how to replace it or find info about Vic 18 parts. Any ideas? thanks, Mike

10. strattm

strattm New Member

Hi: I have acquired a Victoria 18 and it is missing a pin that holds the bottom of the rudder to the hull. Any info on what that pin looks like and where to get one? Mike, Thanks

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.