Varnish stripping help required!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by n1tr0_10, Jun 24, 2008.

1. n1tr0_10

n1tr0_10 New Member

Hi,

i am in the process of renovating a wooden sailing dinghy. It had several layers of varnishes in a patchwork messy finish, so i used a chemical stripper to remove it all. I am now left with a blotchy uneven colour on the plywood underneath. Any ideas how i can get rid of this without sanding throught it all? as im worried that too much sanding might go through the ply?

Thanks.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You're correct to be concerned about sanding through the ply. Sanding is a terrible way to remove finish, it's much better at smoothing. Scrapping is the better way to remove finish, but it does require some practice and sharp edges.

Oxalic acid will probably beach the wood even enough to apply more color or clear finish. Work carefully, this stuff can quickly lighten wood. Read the instructions.

3. rwferr

rwferr Junior Member

You can also use a heat gun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.