Variable deadrise

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sawdust, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

Tom,
    What I am doing doesn't seem too different than what you are doing. I don't use the keel line as my frame of reference; instead more of a proposed at-rest waterline. Compared to the keel, I am bringing the chine down as you do, but compared to an at-rest waterline, I am bringing the keel up to reduce deadrise. What Mr. Efficiency does is different, but I wouldn't call it strange. (I figured what I was doing was strange.) I understand his approach; I think I have seen that approach on other boats; and it's working for him.

Mr. Efficiency,
    Your latest diagram essentially describes my approach correctly. And I understood your approach from your previous diagram. Each approach may have its advantages, depending on the particulars of the boat and what one wants to achieve. I am pleased to have been introduced to an alternate method.

I am familiar with the concept of concept of "warped plane" but have never received an exact definition so I don't know if it applies to me. I prefer the mathematical exactness of what can be achieved in a developable surface.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.