Value Building = 38ft @ US$ 100,000

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FAST FRED, May 6, 2007.

1. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Herreshoff

Fast Fred

Would it be anle for you to share your scalled down Storller/mixed river belle plans with me ? I am by no means intending to use them but most interested in the overall looks and sizes in order to see if the design I am fond of (see above posts) blends nicely into it....

Thanks !

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You can get epoxy at $23 a gallon? Is it any good? (I want in on this.... the good stuff is four times that price here.)

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Would it be anle for you to share your scalled down Storller/mixed river belle plans with me ? ''

Since I'm not a NA my "plans" only consist of sketches , almost cartoons, of interior utility,deck profile and space use.

Items like exact engine location and fuel/water tank location are rough only , as the CG and all the rest needs a pro, who can figure the strange displacements of the box keel.

When I can I will be delighted to post what I have , as the comments and expertise here are fantastic.

Strip plank is a good light weight method , if your gmelina wood is clear and dry , and suitable for encapsulation .
    Epoxy seems to require a different glass (no binders) than polly resin , is unbound glass used where you are?

FF

4. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

Matt, most products made in Asia cost far less than they do after being imported to the USA. That's just the way it is. For example, I can buy small industrial 6.5 HP gas engines for $90 and 10 HP diesels for $180 and these are retail prices at the local fishing stores. I can also get 1/4 inch BS1088 Meranti marine plywood here for $8 a sheet, and the slightly lesser quality that all the locals use in their boats is only $6 a sheet.

I already looked into repackaging this epoxy to make it legal to import to the USA, but by the time I do this then ship it to a retailer -- who will double my wholesale price because that's the standard retail markup in the USA -- the price you would end up paying will be the same as any other epoxy that's already available in the USA. There's no way I could do this on a small volume order either, so the buyer would have to purchase a 20' container load of the stuff -- and I don't know how to find a buyer who would purchase that much.

To answer your question about quality, yes it is excellent boat building epoxy and it behaves almost identically to the System Three T-88 structural epoxy and L-26 sheathing resins I have used for decades (since the time when the company still called themselves "Chem-Tech").

5. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Blue jacket

Fred

Just found a very very interesting website, which would fall perfectly in your search, though a little short, but maybe scalable ?

http://www.bluejacketboats.com/index.htm

Sandor

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Thanks Sandor ,
    I have seen that design but am convinced for a cruiser the box keel /reverse deadrise setup of Atkin will have more advantages.

This article http://www.robbwhite.com/rescue.minor.html convinces me the fuel economy may be better , and of course the flat bottom ,for shoving the boat into container on rollers , or taking the ground has advantages.

The Rob White boat is only a bit over 20 ft and does 15- 22K on 1/2 gallon of diesel.And was reputed to be an excellent sea boat.

The SL of about 4, Mr White got translates to a fantastic economical cruising speed with a boat with a 37 ft LWL.

Of course his was only 550lbs empty , and I expect it will be a real task to get under 8000 lbs trailer weight.

At 37lwl/8000lbs it will still be "light" displacement , but buildable with out Unobtanium.

FF

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

8. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Tom's BJ boats are planing boats and as such are quite a bit different than what FF is considering.

That said, Tom has recently completed the plans for a 28' version that uses the same bottom lines (scaled up of course) as the original with a bit more interior room and amenities.

Tom's original BJ24 achieves fuel economy of about 7.5 MPG+ average using a 50 HP outboard at 12-14 MPH.

There are 5 short video's on YouTube that Tom graciously allowed me to post that demonstrate the behavior of his 24'er.

Video 1
    Video 2
    Video 3
    Video 4
    Video 5

IMO there is no reason to not expect something on the plus side of 5 MPG on the 28'er using a 90 HP outboard as Tom suggests for max power. Perhaps even better fuel economy using a 75 HP OB as Tom suggests as minimum. All at the same 12-14 MPH speed.

Again, Tom's designs are full planing boats and necessitate keeping everything as light as possible - both in the construction and when outfitting for anything more than a weekend jaunt around the local neighborhood.

Best,

Leo

9. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Did someone already mention steel? I understand that containers cost the same to ship regardless of weight... rust is the only down side... have to paint it with expensive epoxy I guess.. I assume you don't really want planing speed...

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

To get 5nmpg I think the boat will hull weights of about 2 lbs per sq ft.Planning on a built "trailer" weight of 8000lbs.

With foam core the hull would require very little in the way of internal reinforcement , and nice "Retro" compound curves are easy to create in the wooden plug mold .A good looking boat is one DESIREMENT.

Really thin steel is still heavy , overall , when considering the structure required to stiffen it.And the high skill level to build a curvy boat wont come cheap.

Even then a 16-20K boat may end up with the "starved creature" look , after an ocean bash.

Weather a SL of 4 , which seems to be the efficent upper limit of the box keel, reverse deadrise , is plaining is up to question.
    The ride reports of very smooth seaworthy operation in inlets or rough water would have me believe there not. As plaining boats frequently jump the water, and slam very hard , which these reportedly don't do.

Weight doesn't matter in Da Box , but fuel needs to be removed.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.