Undeletable phantom in Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by catsketcher, Aug 21, 2007.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

I think I have fixed this before in the dim past but can't remember how so I throw myself at the collective feet of the forum.

I have a small piece of my model in Rhino that has gone bad. It is a small section of cabin side and I can't select it, move it, hide it, delete it or do anything with it. The only thing I can do is turn it off by turning off the layer. No modification other than that.

I did some diagnostics and Rhino found 3 bad objects but didn't delete this one. I am about to change all the other parts of this layer to a temporary layer, delete the layer with the unmodifiable part on it and then rename the other layer. Is there a more elegant way to do this? It seems a little roundabout.

I thank any contributors in advance, I do feel a little sheepish on this forum as I always seem to have my hand out. I try and make up for it on the multihull and sailboat section. Boats are my passion whereas computers are a tool for me.

cheers all

Phil Thompson

2. ericCB

ericCB New Member

possible fixes

possibilities...

check your blocks,
    check your hidden parts,
    make sure you didn't lock the layer
    close and reopen rhino and file
    check for software release updates

Hopefully that can help,
    Eric

3. pgolay

pgolay New Member

SelbadObjects

Hi Phil- I usually find Selbadobects and Delete does the job if there is an unselectable object in the file. (Most likely it does not have any edges or something). If this does not work, that is if SelbadObhects tells you it selects the thing but it is still around after Delete, the layer technique should do it, but if you could send me the file at pascal@mcneel.com that would be good, I'd like to have a try at it myself.

thanks,

Pascal

4. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Thanks

Thanks Pascal and Eric,

I tried most of your suggestions (apart from updating to Rhino 4). Still no luck. Swapping layers took 5 minutes so it wasn't really a problem. Just thought that I was missing something.

cheers

Phil Thompson

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.