Unable to use epoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by fjapa, May 7, 2009.

1. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Rasor you are among the happy few who have cheap and reliable shipping and no or low taxes. I'll give you an example to Mexico and extrapolate to Ecuador after... Yes UPS, DHL and other will ship to Ecuador. I let you imagine the air shipping prices of plywood...
    One example to Mexico, just on the other side of the frontier.
    I kit epoxy 1 gallon resin 1/2 gallon hardener.
    Resin 82 USD
    DHL shipping 177 USD
    Customs 39 USD
    Other taxes 6 USD
    Total 304 USD
    No comment....and you'll have to convince DHL or UPS that it's not hazardous. As UPS handles the packs like punching balls you have interest to pay the extra-extra-extra strong packing kit.

By the cheapest mean (Merkalink) using UPS in the States to Laredo, then a customs office to cross the frontier and re-send it by ground to Mexico (same price anywhere in the country) Total 160 USD. A bit cheaper but no comment also. Time around 3 weeks if no problem, not stolen in the customs etc.

Resin will pay extras as it's a liquid. No possible to ship hasardous products as paints, solvents etc. Sheet plywood are out of size for air shipment or you pay very high fees. UPS do not take plywood for foreign shipment.

And the last problem: Fjada will never see the plywood and the resin. It will be with a probability of 50% stolen during the shipping or in the customs...

Hard realities of Third World countries.

Another example. You buy at Hong Kong a TIG Welder. DHL shipping to Laredo Texas USA 284 USD, shipping to Nuevo Laredo Mexico, just in front, on the other side of the river but unhappily in Mexico 576 USD. I have no explanation of this fact.
    I do not talk of the customs taxes, but these taxes are calculated on the initial price PLUS THE SHIPPING. So imagine now the final result.

2. fjapa

fjapa Junior Member

Very good explanation Ilan... and as you said those are the "hard realities" of our countries. Period.
    I would like to take a look to that method "placo plastic" so I'll e-mail you.

3. JJMc

JJMc New Member

Did you build?

fjapa, I hope you were able to build the boat you wanted. The Bolger Diablo is a good one, right around 250 lbs also. But it is possible to build without epoxy or polyester resin. I've built a 16' kayak with glue and paint alone. I am going to build a canoe and a jon boat (for fishing) in the same way this year. I am in Cotacachi this year, and of course have the same problem not being able to buy epoxy affordably or easily.
    By the way, no special marine plywood either.
    Jerry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.