Ubuntu and other sacrifices to the god Linux

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Meanz Beanz, May 18, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

get a real puter like mine,,,,,mornin Mas,Beanzy ,,hehe ;)

Attached Files:

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Nice case, real classy

3. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

It didn't like to many partitions... with a blank disk straight install, no worries... turns out that it renumbered all the partitions and XP just got lost. Editing the boot.ini file in XP fixed that quickly enough. The boot loader still can't see the USB keyboard so I have and extra keyboard hanging out of the box just to boot. Silly stuff that most installs do.... I mean renumbering partitions on a dual boot setup and expecting other OS's to come out of it fine... and they slag XP for having an aggressive install.

Anyway seems to be running Ok, I will start loading my proprietary drivers and see if we can't do better on the wireless side and the graphics side (a bit ropey really) then I will put a database server and web server up and see how that goes (that should be great...) and try a bit of "wine-ing" after that and see what it makes of some of the apps I don't want to leave behind (not so sure about "wine"...

Cheers
    MBz

4. Meanz Beanz

Mornin Jim.... nice box... no fire risk there then :D.... hot puter, I've had a couple with no boxes... current machine has no sides and two disks waving arounfd in mid air... kinda balanced on one end... must fix that. Though I'd lost a disk yesterday morning, playing up but the diag tools can find no wrong and its going fine agian.... hmmmmmmmm. Just one of those days I guess!

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Mine recognized usb keyboards but when I used "PS2 to USB" adapters would not work on either mouse or keyboard so I am plugged into usb with unused PS2 ports.... I have quite a few points with the new edition that pisses me off - I may send my comments of displeasure to the coders....

There is an app called "wine door" which is supposed to help with the installation process (like the windows installer - but thank goodness "Free!ship+" does not need that - I just make a directory called "freeship" put the zipped package in there then extract and install without "wine door" and I am up and running.... Wine was originally developed so that dungeons and dragons could be played....

6. Meanz Beanz

Its only the boot/os loader, Mint is fine with it... but if you want to select XP off the os loader menu then... well U can't.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Lucky you...

8. Meanz Beanz

Have located... thks Mas.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

I have the "latest ATI" video card - not really well supported in Linux, so getting an "older" nvidea card with lots more video ram on it - I know nvidea works - - I hope???

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Mornin Butch, Heinz, Jim, Safie, Frosty and all you other troglodytes.... Hi all, I am operating sort of mobile as I am commuting 'tween Sunshine Coast and south of Brisbane (140 km), buying a block halfway between and getting pissed off with sooooo much traffic and sooooooooooo many drivers are total ********* and must have got their licences (car driving) from the local home for "mentally incompetent and insecure idiots home/refuge" - - - At least I got mine the proper way (out of a breakfast cereal packet).... and also new toy (powerful computer) also has the latest graphics card - and no one in the linux community has released drivers yet so busily trying to find a "not so new card that will support multiple screens too"

So Butch, Thank you for your concern, Just that I refuse to work / play too hard - - - just like to progress at a leisurely pace as there is always tomorrow.....

Nvidia was too new too - bugger!

11. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

100% Mas. I will be in Brizzy in December . My daughter is emigrating to AU at the end of the year. We must hook up but untill then I will use this mode to launch my pissing contests
    Regards
    Butch

12. masalai

masalai masalai

13. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

So that's where we get the expression 'pissed off' from when we miss and the fruit don't grow!

14. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Hey Mas/ Safe. Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat you just get pissed off:D

15. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Wife's laptop conkd.

Black screen, movable cursor..... Else; nothing, no ctr, alt delete, safe mode, reload last known good configuration - nothing... Seem that MS Vista have that problem, and no good fix. Without loosing all docs (backup was not present), so how to get stuff out?

Could enter bios.

Loaded Linux on a DVD.
    Added an external HDD on one of the USB ports.

Started, entered bios, altered the start up; DVD, external disc, as 1 and no 2.

restarted, loaded Linux from the DVD ran it from the dvd, copied the files to the external disc.

restarted altered bios back to earlier setup. shutted down

restarted, hitting altF10 a no of times, loading the factory setup... deleting all files.....

Machine is back in business, need to reload a few programs, internet, find the local network....

Linux is growing on me, I like it better and better..:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.