Tyvek not impervious to epoxy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nero, Jul 5, 2005.

1. nero

nero Senior Member

Still learning.

When glassing my strip planked hull half, I put on one of those smart looking Tyvek suits. Thinking that I could avoid the epilating experience of peeling epoxy from my legs and arms.

Sat in a bit of epoxy. Got up and continued glassing. Felt a stick feeling several minutes after.

Result is my wife has become suspicious. Am I really in the barn working on my boat until all hours of the night or ....

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Ahh, the things resins will eat....
    I've had polyester resin do that to styrofoam, cotton, denim, and a pair of rather expensive protective gloves. Then there's the polyethylene sheeting we put down to protect the floor... BIG mistake, the stuff just pooled at the pinholes and welded the sheet to the garage floor. Man, was that ever fun to chisel 500 globs of resin off the floor

3. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

I've actually had pretty good luck with tyvek, but whenever I can, I use the sleeves from Gougeon/WEST instead of the full suit, but those are great if you need a mini-sauna. Not surprised that tyvek would leak through under high pressure. (like sitting on it)

Yoke.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.