Twin Outboard Setup

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Dr. Peter, May 6, 2010.

1. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Has anyone tried two small outboards <10hp each on a displacement motor-boat? I would dearly love to get my lovely timber-handled helm back into action but I can't stand the idea of an offset outboard.
    Peter

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

You'd have to modify the controls so you can operate both with one hand, otherwise you cannot operate the boat alone. The outboards can be fixed in position, so you need only throttle and gearshift cables and use the helm for steering.
    Or you can control the boat by engine rpm and shift position, in that case you don't need to touch the helm.

3. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

remote control

Are some outboards more suited to having cables fitted than others?
    Peter

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

10 hp is a bit small for remote control, so you won't find many installed that way, but it is certainly possible.
    My choice would be Mercury, Mariner, Tohatsu (all identical except the color). You need just the cables and a double throttle/shift command unit, not the complete remote package because that includes all the steering parts you do not need.

5. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Thanks for your responses CDK I do appreciate it. Am I right in assuming these double throttle/shift command units are fairly generic in their application?

Peter

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Fairly generic yes, but not completely. There are minor differences, so they are sold as cables for a specific brand with the proper small parts to attach them to the outboard. The other end is standard, it fits Morse controls and all lookalikes.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Bert,
    I've thought about this and the simplest way to do it would not be ideal but doable if you must. Outboard cruisers of the early 50s had twin 10hp and by the mid 50s 20 & 21' OB cruisers had twin 35s. I remember the Bryant boat built locally in the PNW. Varnished mahogany w yellow trim .. very beautiful boats. But 35hp was the biggest OB built at the time. OBs 10hp and even less were built for remote controls but they were simple mechanically and all had separate throttle and gear controls. The twin engine OB didn't get really handy until the single lever controls came about. The idea I had was to mount one engine (say port) dead ahead w steering locked and tiller throttle and kill switch intact. Hike your sailboat rudder and operate the boat w the stbd engine while maneuvering and w both while cruising. With one or two cylinders harmonic vibration would very likely be quite noticeable and adjusting the throttle would be a very frequent necessity. I thought I was going to put two 15 or 20hp OBs on a 16' aluminum skiff but after dwelling on it for some time I decided it just wouldn't be user friendly enough. And in your case I don't think your motive is great enough. CDK has a sharp and open mind and I agree w him. You could could have your prime mover on one side and a 3-4hp spare on the other. Pick the correct side so prop walk would reduce the effect of asymmetrical thrust. But the best rig for you would probably be to go single screw and twin sailing rudders. What do you think so far?

Easy Rider

8. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Motive

Many's the time I've had an idea about a boat modification which was never seen through to its natural conclusion.Or, what was finally done, was quite different from the original idea.

In my case, its not so much motivation as a lack of the prerequisite skill.

Quite often I find that re-testing the old approach on the water sees me realising that what I already have is effective.

If I was to offset the main motor I could go electric on the other side of the rudder. With each engine being used for seperate applications and only rarely together.

That might work!

Thanks guys - always good to think out loud.

Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.