trimaran removing centerboard

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ar99kid, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ar99kid

ar99kid Junior Member

well seems that the best way is to keep it in the boat ! at this moment i have cut all the floor out and i get a walk space like 40cm from the CB case to the hull when lowering the floor so i can stand ...and this is something pretty good for me ! will cut also the top of the case so i can extend the coaches over the CB and make a double bed in the saloon in this way...this was one of my intentions .... after sailing with it and spend some time inside i will see :) for the moment widening the space from 25-40 cm and standing straight is a big improvement !
    there are more things that i have in mind and maybe that's why is a bit difficult to explain all my thoughts but some intentions are :

two double beds at least 180cm x 140cm

bathroom cabin with toilet , shower and sink

independent access to the toilet for each member of the boat at any hour , even in the night if everybody sleeps

i have started a build topic and all of these will be covered there during the process :)
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fi...on-modification-project-46520.html#post619967

PS: teamvmg , this one is mk2 but i really don't know the hull number ??? i have searched for it and nothing... anyway there was some work done in the past on this boat and i have no clue where to find that tag !!!

2. ar99kid

ar99kid Junior Member

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Multihulls like that need to stay light or the performance and behavior suffers. It seems that you are overloading the boat. This is probably the wrong boat for your purposes.

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I agree With Gonzo, It will also be harder to sell with the mods if you move up to another boat.

5. ar99kid

ar99kid Junior Member

hm...maybe you are right about it , but this is the boat i like and i was waiting for this one to come like almost 2 years. trust me , i won't load it ! from my race cars experience i am used to make everything lighter :) so in the end i am wheighting everything i cut out from the boat and also everything that will be put inside and from my "eye" and everything that i have in my head it is very possible to be the same . in the worst case scenario maybe 50-100 kg max and this i don't think is very bad considering the results .

from my point of view i look at the things this way : this boat is going 12-15 kts from the specs in standard form ... so how slow can it get ? 2-3 kts slower ? is this so bad ? i mean a regular boat at this side not a trimaran will sail about 7-8 kts , right ? also in the end there will be much more scuba diving equipment on board and for this the amas storages are perfect . in a regular boat i can't carry so many things :( . on top of it we use to go like 6-10 people on holidays , only 4 will be spleeping on board , but the rest of the "crew" can sail with me all day long ...there is plenty of space on the amas decks and i am not in a hurry ...i am in holiday :D

i really do understand that loading problem , but also want to finish this project as i was dreaming about ... dreams make you go forward ! at least in my case :) i have worked on the amas restauration 1500 hours and i am not tired :)) so i am expecting more than 2000 hours on the main hull ... in this weekend i will post on the project topic everything i have done up tu this moment so you everybody can get an idea .

thank you very much for all the info you have provided ...i have a lot to learn about boats but i like to work and learn the same time :)

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

An enclosed head(bathroom) with holding tank, etc. will be pretty heavy. The toilet alone is about 20Kg. Are you also raising the deck for more headroom? What is that you are cutting off the boat?

7. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

HA!, you took the float off! that was a shock wasn't it - they are much heavier than they look!

I reckon that you have got a MK1 there, I'm sure that the cockpit was changed for the mark 2 when they dropped the idea of installing jet-drives.

I always sat looking at that whacky [and huge] aft locker and thought that the boat could handle an aft cabin, with maybe a stern extension too. Some guys made stern extensions withouth any sort of cabin addition.

Paul

8. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

Correction - That is certainly a mark 2!

I see from your other blog that it is TRILIGHT. That was my fathers best friend's boat. It was on of the first mark2s and was built extra light for the Round Britain race.
    It won the Round the island Race [Isle of Wight] on a very breezy day too.

Look after her, I spent many happy days aboard as a kid!

Paul

9. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Good luck with your modifications. As you have learned by now, there are as many opinions on Internet forums as there are members.

The hard problem with freely given advice is that no matter who you listen to, there are others telling you exactly the opposite, and you are not in a position to judge which direction is best and who is right.

One trap to avoid is listening to advice until you hear a person who agrees with you. The advice you should pay the most attention to is that advice that disagrees with you - as researching why they have taken that position will teach you a lot more than accepting agreeable advice.

At some point however you have to decide to proceed or not. If it was easy, you would make perfect decisions from perfect information. Most of us actually learn more by doing than just researching issues. Try - fail - learn - fix is often faster than trying to master all possible technical disciplines before even trying. Lessons learned through mistakes seem to stick better than hundreds of pages of reading.

Russell Brown built a 10+ meter proa at 15 years old and then sailed it for thousands of kilometers including ocean passages. This boat cost $400 to build, he did coastal sailing, spent another $800 to fix broken stuff and then it made ocean passages in the Caribbean. I'm certain he didn't consult Internet experts, nor did he get analysis paralysis from studying too much.

It is fine to experiment and take risks. I do not know about your country and it's legal system, but you may be in a lot of legal trouble if your experiments hurt other people. One Canadian member of my family was sued by the insurance company of another American family member to recover outrageous American medical expenses resulting from a slip and fall in a swimming pool during a visit. I would not want to have to explain to my wife why my children are swimming offshore and why the boat disappeared under the sea.

Have fun, learn a lot, build your confidence in your project carefully and make mistakes. Most people do not learn because they do not make mistakes.

--
    CutOnce

10. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I suddenly lost interest when the condominium talk began ... on a 26 foot trimaran!
    The original design is interesting, combining cruising ability with some reasonable sailing qualities.
    But overload a small tri ... definitely it will turn to brown custard.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Russel Brown had the help and advice of his father Jim. He had one of the foremost multihull designers and builders working with him for free. That is not an example of an inexperienced person designing and building a boat in a vacuum.

12. ar99kid

ar99kid Junior Member

morning !

since Paul recognized this boat and he know it was a ultra light build , that is a very good news for me . seems that i still have enough weight margin , not that i realy want to use it, but this is an interesting point . any way the boat had a WC toilet , i am just repalcing it with a new one and change the location . i have cut out all the floor... 20-30 kg , and will be replaced only with reinforcing some areas , reinforcing the CB case on the sides say 3-5 kg , and the new floor will be resin/fibergalss wood deck...max 10 kg . the upper part of the CB case and the cut out mast support is maybe 10 kg , will be replaced only with a pipe , large in diam but thin walls ( better compression resistence and side loads ) like 5-10 kg etc . the kitchen will be much smaller , the plastic sink replaced with thin foil stainless steel ...so no important weight diff but much better looking , also the fiber glass original furniture will be forex , very light material , like a plastic foam but with very good results . a lot of furniture parts will be made from this . i have worked in the past with it and it is a great thing . all the furniture parts , table , doors , pannels , lockers etc i think they are like 50-100 kg ! and the replacement parts with all the comfort/design ones will be in the same margin ...
    anyway , like i said , everything will be weighted and noted ... in the end we'll see the results :)

13. ar99kid

ar99kid Junior Member

Gary ,

thank you for all the input and advises , you are an experienced sailing man and do know a lot of things ! but please don't judge me for trying to this boat a "condominium" :) .

loading ? from the weight point of view i stated that in the end ( and i know this ) it won't be much of a difference.

loading ? from the design point of view ... what can be so bad about it ? if i want to make it better looking ? more spacious ? i want to see the sea from the cabin through the front windows ? if i want to drink my coffe in my bed and in the same time to watch the sun rise over the water ? if i am not going to keep the wisky bottle and the wine ones in a closed locker , but keep them o a nice stainless steel wire bar ...lighted by a warm LED light ? if i CAN make two double beds instead of single beds , ehat is wrong with this ? if i CAN make a bathroom cabin ... isn't it better then asking everyone to leave the cabin because i want to "use" the toilet ? or even worst in the night , in many boats this size i have studied i saw this is a big problem ! you can't use the toilet in the night ! not that i am interested very much in this subject , but in the end , don't we everybody look for as much comfort in the boat like in our home ? if i spend a day or two...but i want to stay as long as my time permits aboard...i have studied , make drawings , search pictures etc of different layouts like 3 months ago , every night after finishing the work on the boat during the day , and i CAN make all this things in this littel space of a telstar 26 boat :)
    please understand me and my goals ... i am young , i am very ambitious , i really take vitamins so i can keep the work going ( this is not a joke , i only sleep 4-6 hours a night and work or study the rest of the hours in a day and i am doing this since november 2012 when i have started to work on the boat and will do it until i will finish it ) , i don't have much money , but i do have that "thing" that keeps me working all day long so instead of buying things , i will make most of them . this is my boat project and like other projects in my past in the end will be like i want it to be and i am going to use like i dreamed about :) . i have custom build my BIG FOOT hummer H2 ... all suspension build by me , not bought , and use this car since 2009 off/on road , baby it , hard trashed it and nothing ! nothing broked ...500 Hp , 30 cm taller than original , 100cm wheels diameter and 50cm wide tires ! a 4 tons beast and is going...still going very strong :) . my race car : Nissan Skyline turbo custom build 650 Hp race car , two years consecutive 2nd place in nationals championship ...also 8 month project build with a lot of ambition and great results . i am building also a Pulsar XP aircraft , bought it as an unfinished project...and will fly :) . first place and national time record in 2004 on street drag racing motorcycles with a Honda CBR 900cc build and modded by me :)...i have build some tuning/design cars that won first places in national tuning contests , and one of them was advertised on the cover of 3 tuning magazines in 3 europe countries ...
    well sorry for this long , boring , out of the subject post , but i wanted to make my self clear about what kind of kid i am , how i like to work , how i want this boat to be and based on my previous experiences i will keep on going ! i need your and everybody help and opinion in problems that i will encounter on different subjects ... but don't try to change my mind about this boat destination and design !

14. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

All well and good, kid, you've talents and skills most excellent ... but you can't place a whole load of suburban stuff within the confines of a small boat. You need at least a 30-35 foot design.
    For what it is worth, just keep your Telestar simple and light because your boat has a design history of being exactly that. It's not like putting turbo power into a Munch Mammoth, your power comes from a reasonable, but limited amount of sail area ... and a light (for its class) platform. That's all you've got. If anything you should be stripping the interior, pipe bunks, plastic sink, plastic bucket behind a curtain. Ha.

15. ar99kid

ar99kid Junior Member

yes Gary , you are perfect right about this ... i know it is small boat :( i wished it would be bigger , but i live 800km from the sea and i need to trailer it all the time . this was my first thing in my mind when i have consider a boat for me . i was looking for the biggest , widest but also trailerable boat... also the budget which is not too big :(

thanks and please share your opinion along the building progress !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.