trim problem

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by phil74, Aug 25, 2007.

1. phil74

phil74 New Member

i'm having a problem with my trim. it an alpha 1 merc this is my first boat so please bare with me. while on the lake the battery died a friend jumped it for me.when i was heading back i went to trim up but the boat would die out unless i stopped trimming. its stuck in the down position and wont come up i think its a solenoid but not sure please help thank you

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Sounds like the battery is still flat.

The trim has a large electric motor so the alternator in the outboard may not have enough output to supply ignition and the trim motor.

If the battery is dead then you need to replace it. Get a new battery and try the trim.

Rick W.

3. phil74

phil74 New Member

trim

you were almost 100% right. it was the negative terminal it looked good and was tight but something was wrong with it changed it everything went great after that

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Phil
    I appreciate the feedback. I was going to suggest the terminals but I thought you would have checked these when you had the initial battery problem.

Electrics and water do not mix too well. You often get annoying little problems with batteries, lights and switches.

Rick W.

5. phil74

phil74 New Member

trim

everything looked good but i guess you never know

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.