Treated wood and epoxy

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by wudenbote, Sep 21, 2008.

1. wudenbote

wudenbote Junior Member

I have read that epoxy doesn't bond well with treated wood. How poorly does it bond? Is it just a minor "weakening" of the joint? Is it that the various chemicals "don't get along"? I have come into the free possesion of a piece of Southern Yellow Pine which is rift sawn and is 2x12x 20'. Unfortunately it is treated wood. Should I run from it or can I use it for the bottom portion of my frames. Sure do hate to just not use it, but I will, if I can't trust epoxy to bond sufficiently. Thanks much for your expertise!

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

3. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

How has been treated the wood? what product? A part ethyleneglycol diluted with water, I'm not confident of other products. I made crude tests with CCA treated wood and the results were very bad. It seems that the mix of metals interferes with the gluing.

If you encapsulate all the wood with epoxy, a desinfection with monoethylene is enough, as epoxy will prevent later infection.

If you plan to glue with epoxy, but not to encapsulate; the fate in marine environment will be failure of the glue joints after a few cycles of wetting-drying even if the wood has been protected with paints. Resorcine works better in this case.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.