transparent fiberlass layup?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Jmooredesigns, Feb 13, 2014.

1. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

First of all, apologies to rwatson, I may have the wrong end of the stick. It is however reasonable to assume it is not super easy to evenly heat a plywood oven to 120-140 deg C with a paint stripper gun or other hot air device. Yes I have done 'home drapes' and line forming like sign makers/fabricators using similar home made gear. Also built a lot of forming 'bucks' or patterns, even correcting them for distortion on deep rectangular shapes. Last lot was for encasing Hi-tech electronics for touch screen bathroom electronics.... ie wet environment but safe!.

Anyway key thing is try it, even better if you have a thermometer you can sense into the oven so you don't overcook things. I'll second PAR's recommendation about a quick flaming, useful trick. A quick pass with a naked flame is useful. Do not forget that formings want to 'return' to their natural flat state if heated up to distortion temperatures.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.