Transom Repair help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by drivewayguy, Jun 3, 2013.

  1. drivewayguy
    Joined: Jun 2013
    Posts: 1
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: Sudbury, Ontario

    drivewayguy New Member

    I have an older 16.5 foot Sea Nimph, not sure on the year, if you can tell me i would appriciate it, has a 70 hp out board. The wood at the transom is rotting and i would like to replace it. Looking at it the job does not look to be to hard, the thickness of the wood is 2 inches.

    I first will get a sheet of foam to cut out the proper jig so i do not waist any good plywood.

    I was thinking of using two 1 inch sheets of plywood and glue them together.

    What is the best plywood to use? What is the best way to glue them together? What is the best way to seal the wood to prevent rotting.

    How would i go about installing the transom the new transom?

    I have added pictures to this post of the boat and trasom as it is now, if this is any help.

    Any and all help would be sincerely appriciated.

    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. keysdisease
    Joined: Mar 2006
    Posts: 794
    Likes: 43, Points: 28, Legacy Rep: 324
    Location: South Florida USA

    keysdisease Senior Member

    There are other ways and methods, but if you do this right it will outlast several outboard motors.

    Steve :cool:
  3. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,128
    Likes: 497, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    Welcome to the forum.

    Use the search tool above and look up transom core replacement. You'll find hundreds of previous posts. Read through what you will and get familiar with the techniques, materials, etc. You'll have a lot more better armed questions and we'll still be here.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.