Top 10 countries outside of U.S.A. or Europe to spend rest of your days aboard?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by souljour2000, May 6, 2012.

1. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

^^^ no wonder you have security grills covering your boat

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Malaysia Thailand for me and hopefully one day soon, we will be allowed into Vietnam.

Affordable cost of living compared to Australia, stunning scenery, great healthcare, cheap labour and fuel and no real language barriers unless going out into the boonies and even then I have still managed to at least get food and cold beer.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Those are flyscreens and to hold that in place I used the "grills" and if you look at the flyscreens "made in Australia" you will know that they are visual so people will not walk through them....

I have lived in most of those places and had less petty theft there than in a "crimsafe" (stainless steel security mesh system) alarmed with motion & heat sensors giving immediate 'call to base' in houses located in suburban Brisbane... I have had two cases of "piracy" on my boat, anchored near Bribie Island and know of half a dozen other cases in the past 2 months...

You ARE A COMMITTING PIRACY​
    (according to - The International Maritime Bureau (IMB), which forms part of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Commercial Crime Services based in London with a regional office known as the Regional Piracy Centre (RPC) located in Kuala Lumpur, defines piracy for statistical purposes (ICC Commercial Crime Services 2000) as:)

an act of boarding (or attempted boarding) - with the intent to commit theft or any other - crime and with the intent or capability to use - force in furtherance of that act.

Thus, the IMB definition of piracy covers - attempted as well as actual attacks and applies - whether a ship is berthed, at anchor or at sea.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/MarStudies/2001/16.html

Hi Sabah,
    As far as I know, Vietnam is "open to visitors NOW" - but that depends on whether 'MeLie' is forgiven? - - I know of many Australian veterans, and others, who have visited Vietnam recently and enjoyed & appreciated the experience and friendliness...

4. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

It is, I spend a few months a year there but you cant get a boat in and cruise yet.

5. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Well, I just got another newspaper from Fiji...my second LED anchor light w/light sensor I have ordered from Bebi electronics was wrapped in the Fiji Times...along with a postcard and thank-you note for my order...just like the first one I ordered last year...and judging from the Fiji Times April 7,2012 edition.. it looks like things are thriving out there...The owner(s) of bebi-electronics live on a sailboat and employ native Fijians to build the little anchor lights, spreader lights, etc...they are based on an out-island 20-30 miles from the main metropolis I understand..
    Btw..in the Fiji Times classifieds, they are looking for construction equipment operators, marine diesel engineers, fisher-folk, and "house girls"...and btw these are great anchor-lights...bebi-electronics.com (no affiliation)....
    I did just do a wiki on Fiji...and the natives have been restless the last few years...but apparently "new" "free" and unimpeded by the military-ruling class elections are scheduled for 2014....Sea-level rise may prove to be the " fly in the ointment" here but overall it sounds very unspoiled.... at least in the out-islands thus far...but not having ever visited...I cannot say this with any certainty....

6. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Free elections have been promised a number of times. So far, no. It will depend on how you define 'free' anyway. The British imported labourers from India many years ago to work on the plantations because the native Fijians had more sense. Now there are big problems with the 'one person one vote' principle and the native Fijians changed the rules.

As for sea level rise, how long do you think that you're going to be alive? Unless you're seriously thinking you've another 100+ years of life ahead of you, it is a non-issue even if the IPCC predictions are correct.

PDW

7. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Well...after some revision... Fiji is a Volcanic chain...not atolls...so I agree with you..it's probably a non-issue

8. boatgm2

boatgm2 Junior Member

Our home is in Guam and we keep a boat in the Philippines. We enjoy Palau and could see spending lots of time there. That said you have to look hard to find better boating then the Philippines.

9. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

I worked at Kieta Harbour development and Panguna mine site, Bougainville Is and Solomons during 70's, then transferred to PNG Southern Hlds, later Central Hlds. All three places were fantastic to live pre 80's apart from occassional Chimbu troubles.

Problem is any remote place is easy to live until health issues or age stuff starts to kick in.

10. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Sabah,
    One thing I know is any investment MUST DO or MAKE something for you... Resorts have forced the price and availability of land beyond a reasonable return. - - - Which is what those who got in early are asking / grtting now - A very good return on "improvements"...

Land in Vanuatu is leasehold the list price there is for the "IMPROVEMENTS" and once that factor is realised it is vastly overpriced... The view, your privacy is very much dependent on maintaining good relationships with the custom owner... The actual lease is Guaranteed and managed via various instrumentalities...

PNG has some risk in land tenure,

Solomon Islands is questionable and one case relates to the owner of a very large and very nice plantation complex collectively referred to as "Yandina" 9.075 degrees S and 159.22degrees E http://www.solomontimes.com/news.aspx?nwID=5878 and more issues needing to be resolved...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  12. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Hard to walk away from that little hideaway.

I was given and still own a beach front block (about 6h) on Fauro Is off southern tip of Bougainville. It's totally unspolit/untouched beautiful bit of coast with fresh water streams and great reef diving. I camped there a few times but never built anything or stayed long term but I do think about it especially when my current location gets a bit...

13. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Who said anything about investment?
    I was looking at it as a bolt hole when I thought the world may be overrun by zombies .:p

This place has nothing to do with the resort.

The resort is 650metres down the road http://g.co/maps/7zpxc

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Saba,
    I was not pointing or advising - merely pontificating in the basis of my research for myself...

My objective is to increase the value of improvements by value adding to pre-existing farm production systems... For example, - - setting up plant and machinery to facilitate activities using coconut shells, which can make very high quality 'activated carbon', as used in all sorts of filter systems. - - Extracting the coconut oil on the plantation (and for adjoining local communities), - - Using the 'copra meal' (residue from the oil extraction processes), as a feed supplement base for semi intensive poultry and pigs...

Either way, any "bolt-hole" needs be revenue positive and able to sustain itself and all participants....

Oh the resorts - many are for sale at levels that are far and above any potential to be revenue positive... I stayed at Turtle Bay December/Jan. . . which was for sale (Au$1.5million :eek: :eek: :eek: - even a third of that is too much in my view)...

But then many tourists would go all misty-eyed at the romance of it all and splurge big-time for all sorts of later financial woes...

15. masalai

masalai masalai

http://www.turtlefiji.com/, was my inspiration and around 1980 was sold for a nice sum (including a booking office in Melbourne and one somewhere in USA... VERY exclusive, very private, total luxury and all inclusive able to offer exquisite locally grown and harvested or imported cuisine for whatever your dietary needs... around 2000, when I checked, it was booked out 2 years in advance and the rate was around US$2000/day each plus airfares & transfers... Now that was viable... :D :D :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.