Tool for efficient deck sanding

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by GWB, Feb 13, 2008.

1. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

Depends on temperature and humidity. When I rolled/tipped Sterling on the hull of our 28 foot cruiser, years ago, I would say we had about 10 minutes on the wet edge before it resisted flowing out. That was an 80 degree, relatively dry, August day in Seattle.

Rolling and tipping a deck will be more of a challenge than doing the hull sides. What with all the bits and bobs on deck. Remove as many things from the deck as possible. Even if you have to take apart the inside to get to them.

Dont try it to paint it with one person. Get a second to help. One to roll on the paint (use good quality foam rollers, NOT the candy stripers), second person to tip (with a badger brush and tweezers in hand to pluck any brush hairs that come out).

Especially if it is a warm day, divide the paint into small batches and catalyze and thin, as you go. This can be tricky because the brushing catalyst might require induction time (about 20 minutes for Sterling if I recall). Why? If you catalyze it all at once, and it takes you an hour to cover the deck, the last part of the paint will have already started setting in the pot, making it more difficult to tip.

Plan your paint job such that you end in a area that will be noticed less (stern? coamings?).

Avoid thinning the paint too much as this will cause the paint to blush.

Retape between ALL applications of primer and color.

You really have to think things through thoroughly before you start. We ended putting on 5 coats of color before we got it "right". But we seem to be more of a perfectionist than the guy next to us.

If you can do, some test paint jobs on something else before trying the deck(offer to paint your friends beatup hard-shell glass dinghy or something).

Been there done that (with Sterling that is, have no experience with Interlux).

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

No!! no wet sanding with Awl Grip. We have had a few debates on this in other threads and I conceed that if you must sand out a run it can be done, but it is not the correct (there's that word again) way. Awl Grip states that if you wet sand you will destroy the protective shell, but since Awl grip takes about a month to fully cure it can be done. ice ?? I only see that in my drinks. Stay warm.

3. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

****.....................god that is beautiful

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Rat, Where in Jersey are you?

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Awlgrtip Paint:

I'm in Somerset, NJ, (exit 9) about 45 minutes from Mays Landing (Post) and Egg harbor, Most of my family is in Orlando...

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

every time i see the word "jersey",,,,i can hear that "almost" broklin accent hehehe ;)

7. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

I was born in W.Va, and grew up in Northern Va. (Alexandria).............just south of the mason/Dixon, Moved to Jersey in 83..........don't laugh to hard....I have been to Texas; actually, Brownsville.......Damn hot....no boats....hahahahhhehehehehe

8. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

New boat

hey Kaptin-jer:
    I saw a boat at the marina on route 35, the motors have not started in eight years, the salon is colapsing and the hull is in bad shape. I think I can get it for $100. She is a 37 ft, Silverton and has a good line. Nice sportfisherman. She would be worth a mint, in mint condition..........

9. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Brookyln.. =..Crookyln

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

dont laugh,,,,,,,im from maine,,,now here "in the land of non-skid" hehe ;)

11. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Longliners favorite

You should go see juiceclark in Ft.Meyers. He and a couple of friends is building a Longliner Favorite. 47' Key West #1 Sportfisherman

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Don't like the West coast, Don't like stink pots. Like being grumpy. Raining , caint work on my boat

13. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

I'm originally from Da Bronx, but now I'm out here in Southern California and LOVE it. Not too many days where you can't work on your boat...

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Southern California! Another place like Texas with no redeeming qualities. Lived in both places, each for about 4 years. SoCal has the Santa Anna winds, Fire storms, Monsoon Rains, Mud slides, smog, Earthquakes. The water is too cold to swim in unless you have a wet suit. The people (all except Mongo) are weird. Enjoy your stay in socal. :D :D

15. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

Thanks Kaptin, I'm not weird like these tree huggin freaks, but I am a little crazy LOL. Yeah, we got all the funny forces of nature out here, but I wouldn't trade my earthquakes for the rain, let alone hurricanes on the east coast. I HATE wind and rain hehe...