To Build a Cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Pity098, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Pity098

Pity098 Junior Member

Howdy,

Doubtless you are correct sabahcat, I should (and probably will) buy established plans in the end. Proven does equal cheaper in almost every area of the world. I am currently debating on ordering study plans for Woods Deigns of the Transit and/or the Nimbus.

I may also have to hop down to Kemah to take a look, thanks for the link Sand crab.

I must confess that I am also interested in the academic portion of the design however. Would you consider it better to create a separate thread for similar discussion types? (Such as, should you analyze a catamaran as two box-beams attached by a plate, or as cylindrical members attached by a box beam; what are the true pressure forces on the hull skin, etc.).

Thanks,

Land Locked Aggie

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Perhaps consider Roger Simpson designs as well

For example his 11.88 performance cruiser plans sell for $1540
    Full plan listings here http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/gallery?KID=65

His book on boatbuilding would be well advised to get
    http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/kbooks.php

Some boats for sale to give ideas
    http://www.boatpoint.com.au/used-boats/SIMPSON/make.htm

Yes, I like them
    I built his 9m ground effect and she was a truly fantastic cruiser racer

I am currently doing a modified 15m slipstream design

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Thank you for considering my Transit 38 and Nimbus designs.

As I am sure you know from my Latest News pages, I spent the winter cruising a Transit down the east coast USA and the Bahamas. It proved a very comfortable, safe, fast boat for 2-4 people.

However it is very much smaller than the boat you propose, which I must say is bigger than I would personally have for family cruising.

I had a quick look at your design parameters. I think you are underestimating the weight of your boat. I think you are hoping for a 6T empty weight. 8-10T would be nearer the mark. I would also increase the Cp significantly

I would strongly recommend building in foam sandwich rather than in wood, especially if you plan to build in sections. If you do go that route then be aware that you will spend months at the boatyard by the water, not a "short time". And I'd guess a professional yard will take 5-6000 hours to build a 48ft cat.

I have written elsewhere about the time it takes to fit out a shell. The hull building is the quick, easy bit, so choosing a design based purely on the speed to build the HULLS is probably not the best idea as it is not going to save you much time overall.

Hope these quick comments help

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

1 person likes this.
  4. Pity098

Pity098 Junior Member

Howdy,

Sad to say my boating dreams were crashed by a job offer this week in a very land locked and waterless area. That being said if I can return afterward buying a dream boat should be no problem. I will try to post when I can on topics I can contribute to. At least travel time will allow a lot of time for reading and possible design ability improvements.

Thanks,

An Extremely Land Locked Aggie

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.