Thwart Placement for Rowboat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Plederman, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Plederman

Plederman Junior Member

I am building a 14' cedar strip rowboat (Cosine Wherry) whose plans call for 3 rowing stations...one in the middle and two fore and aft...

I would rather just use two thwarts and am trying to figure their placement. I will be rowing mostly for pleasure on a pond and usually by myself...so by plan the center of the middle thwart is at 84" and i figure to move it aft about 14"..does anyone foresee a problem there....thanks so much

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If three rowing stations were designed in, it is assumed that the middle one is for solo rowing. Therefore, moving the solo station aft will probably lift the bow and drop the stern. To what degree is easier checked out by experimentation rather than guesswork or even calculation.
    14" aft of the fore and aft center is a lot on a boat designed specifically to row well.
    Wouldn't it be better to stick with the original plan and make the middle seat removable?

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.