Thoughts and ideas for my 40ft racer

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Brorsan, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Brorsan

Brorsan Junior Member

Hi, I'm drawing on a 40 ft racer, and the plan is to start build it in september 2008. I want it to be light, narrow, 11.95 long, 2m deep, foredeck will be used as bowsprit, It will cary about 40-45 kvm sail upwind and a gennacker all the way to the top downwind. Barely no interior. Good performance upwind is more important than downwind. The picture shows the boat at 20 degreeĀ“s heeling and a deplacement of 1500kg. (about 1000kg in the keel)
    I'm very thankful for thoughts and ideas. Thank you.

/Brorsan

Attached Files:

2. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

Couple comments:
    If you want upwind performance, balance the hullform a bit. Current form looks like lots of aft volume- good for offwind at higher speed, but not so great upwind.
    Curved surfaces make poor footing at sea- your deckhouse is quite rounded, will be tough on your feet at heel in a seaway.
    Your displacement figures are very optimistic, good luck- hope it works out.

3. Brorsan

Brorsan Junior Member

Thank you. my idea with the little wider aft is to create some stabilety to the hull, but allso to cary the weight of the crew and a small engine on the deck at the aft. And ofcourse, the possibilety to surf and plan is never wrong :)

I must admit that i do aswell think that about 500kg for boat+ sails and everything else except keel, sounds optemistic... But people have told me that it weight about 5-6kg for each m2 plastic, dont know if it is true though. Total area of hull+deck is 66m2. But as said, there will hardly be any interior at all.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.