Thomas Colvin's designs

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Abe Shaffer, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Penny, welcome to the forum . . :)

Is this the boat . . . ?

[​IMG]

2. penny colvin

penny colvin New Member

This is our boat Apostle at the Blackbeard Festival. It is not for sale. Cargo Schooner Antelope is for sale.

Doug Lord likes this.
  3. Angélique

I see, Tom's own boat after K'ung Fu-tse, she was in Cruising World Oct. 1992 page 13.

Tom Colvin 37ft Cargo Schooner Antelope Cruising World Oct. 1992 page 13 top.jpg
    Tom Colvin 37ft Cargo Schooner Antelope Cruising World Oct. 1992 page 13 bottom.jpg

Tom's own Cargo Schooner Antelope was also mentioned 4 × in the Junk Rig Association JRA Hall of Fame - Tom Colvin PDF

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. penny colvin

penny colvin New Member

5. dsigned

dsigned O.R.C. Hunter

6. Angélique

The boat is capable to do so, but nowhere in the provided info it says anything about the intention to haul the 10 tons cargo capacity across oceans, think about small distances along the coast and between islands to pay for some of the costs while cruising, or earn just enough for a simple living on board a bit bigger boat.

Maybe Tom's family is willing to sell plans for that, also look e.g. at Tad Roberts¹ and Dudley Dix² for their plans.

¹ 54½' Steel Cargo Schooner - ¹ 52' Steel Cargo Schooner - ² 52¼' Steel Cargo Schooner - (LOD)

Check out Fair Transport how to set up a business in this field, and see Green Cargo and French Wines Sail Again for some inspiration.

But, if you can't figure it out without me telling how, then best don't start such a business.

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    bajansailor likes this.
  7. Angélique

An old one that needs to be fixed up is also an option, but not necessarily cheaper, but sure a fun and also a hard way to make a simple living.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bajansailor likes this.
  8. Angélique

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tres Hombres' - Capt'n - Arjen van der Veen​

‘‘ Beyond the Horizon lies more... You are the master of your own destiny. ’’

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    bajansailor likes this.
  9. Angélique

It just occurred to me, George Buehler also has some options for cargo Schooners...

[​IMG]

Whirled, a 50' Melquiades cargo schooner by George Buehler

Like Tom, George has gone ahead of us, maybe Susan and Gail keep the office running . . ?

bajansailor likes this.
  10. Angélique

SV Panope, an aluminum built ± 34' LOD Colvin Saugeen Witch* gaff sloop, with a pilot house instead of a cockpit, which usually sails in the PNW.

* Wayback Machine link to Tom's moderate displacement ocean sailing designs, since Tom's R.I.P. own website is offline since a while now.

There are max five videos shown per post here, so the next are links: Motor Sailing - - Hull Scrubbing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

‘‘ This boat does not have poisonous bottom paint and therefore must be frequently scrubbed of marine growth. ’’

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    bajansailor likes this.
  11. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Hi Penny. I built one of Tom's SAUGEEN WITCH hulls stretched to 38'. Took a while but I wasn't in a hurry.

Tom did supply me with the rigging plan and interior arrangement for ANTELOPE but not the lines & offsets because he said they weren't really up to the standard he'd be happy selling. I always wanted a set anyway. At 65 I doubt I'll build another boat from scratch but - who knows. If I did, it'd be ANTELOPE, I just live the lines. So - if your family would be willing to sell a set of drawings, I'd be happy to buy them.

A few photos of my hull in the shed. Some odds & ends still untidy, but done. I used Tom's book to sew the junk sails. Fair bit of work but no dramas. Tom knew what he was doing all right.

PDW witch - 2.jpeg witch - 4.jpeg witch - 5.jpeg

bajansailor and Angélique like this.
  12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Oh look Pete, that ones got a Pilot House :)

13. GHB

GHB New Member

Abe, I captained and sailed Mr. Colvin's "Cheif Aptakisic" from 1975 to 1978. She was the first of what was intended to be a fleet of trading schooners to operate in the South Pacific Islands. Unfortunately, the project never matured and the idea was scuttled. As ship captain for Sea Explorer Ship 8 of the Boy Scouts of America we rebuilt the Aptakisic and sailed her in the Bicentiaal Tall Ship Parade New York Harbor 1976. I have quite of information about her, her design and her hull lines. We logged Just over 5000 miles in 100 days. As far as the design is concerned, the Aptakisic did very well both onshore and offshore. Our longest passage was 10 days and the max wind speed we encountered was around 35 knots with 10 to 15-foot waves.
    From your description of the boat criteria, I think the Aptakisic class would do well. Mr. Colvan designed the boat in both wood and in Ferro cement. I don't think it was designed in either steel or fiberglass. I am willing to send you all the information I have for the cost of mailing and a little more for the effort.
    George Brisbin
    oldsalt@cox.net

Angélique likes this.
  14. Deciates

Deciates New Member

Hi everybody,

Very interested by all I read and the quality of Angelique's repply, I am also interested to get some more information from GHB about the boat.
    Thank a lot.
    phmertillo@gmail.com

15. Angélique

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018