Thistle Class Rudder

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 10Hydro, Sep 8, 2008.

1. 10Hydro

10Hydro New Member

While I've read many post on this forum for quite some time I am a new to posting. I have built molds and I am familiar with many lay-up techniques including vacuum bagging and resin infusion. My molded parts have typically been in 1/2s and bonded/taped together. My question is how is the best way to mold and lay-up a thin foil shaped rudder for a Thistle Class? I can mold each 1/2 separately but am unsure of how to lay-up. With it being so thin from 3/4"to 7/8" it seems too thin to lay-up in halfs and bond together. However, I'm not sure how to lay-up with matched molds without having any voids inside. I really want to mold both faces as opposed to overlaying over a core, but am open to suggestions. Thanks for your input.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Just a suggestion. Such a thin rudder will be difficult to mold unless you make it from (heavy) solid glass/polyester (or somewhat fragile if you attempt to core it).
    Why not make it from a few layers of thin plywood sheathed in glass/epoxy?

Alan

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Unless you have the moulds already made, building and fairing a rudder like alan suggests is going to be less work.

I would tend to go for some light but strong wood rather than plywood myself (the local wood shop can advise) , because shaping plywood with its multiple laminations is a bit of a bugger.

You can even pre-cut vertical sections to shape and laminate them for extra strength and efficiency. Cover with epoxy and cloth for strength.

If you do a good enough job, it can be a plug for a master mould if you want to do others.

I see the rules dont specify rudder size, weight etc, so using the wood technique you could build a few shapes for experimenting - perhaps have a few for different racing conditions.

4. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

Thistle rules are in fact fairly restrictive on the rudder. They have to be within tolerances for both planform and thickness. And they also have a minimum weight to meet.

We CNC our thistle cores from strip laminated Douglas Fir, and have a proven fast shape. Why not just contact us to mill a core for you, then you take it from there with 'glassing and fairing?

Cheers
    Phil

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thats interesting Phil - I couldnt see any reference to the rudder in the class specs I found on the internet.

Do you have a better link?

Your CNC suggestion is the go - viva la computadora

6. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

Thistle rudder specs

No link, sorry. I've just got a really bad scan of the appropriate page of the "Official Thistle Class Rules" that you have to look squinty-eyed at to make out the numbers. (given by the customer that first ordered one from me).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.