This is embarrassing, but I have to ask...

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by jjhamm22, Feb 8, 2019.

  1. jjhamm22
    Joined: Jan 2019
    Posts: 23
    Likes: 2, Points: 3
    Location: PA

    jjhamm22 Junior Member

    I can't find the stupid fill for the gas tank on a 79 MT 24' 240 VCC. The 2 circular floor ports in the picture both expose electrical or tube fittings to the gas tank. It isn't inside the rectangular floor hatch either. But I'll be damned if I can find the fill cap. Anyone have an answer?

    Attached Files:

  2. BlueBell
    Joined: May 2017
    Posts: 2,557
    Likes: 892, Points: 113
    Location: Victoria BC Canada

    BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

    Look outside the cockpit on the side decks.
  3. kapnD
    Joined: Jan 2003
    Posts: 1,257
    Likes: 383, Points: 83, Legacy Rep: 40
    Location: hawaii, usa

    kapnD Senior Member

    Gasoline fills are not inside the boat, diesel sometimes are.
    Look inside the hatches, maybe get sight of which way the fill tube runs?
  4. Ike
    Joined: Apr 2006
    Posts: 2,653
    Likes: 454, Points: 83, Legacy Rep: 1669
    Location: Washington

    Ike Senior Member

    It is most likely on the side decks, or on the top of the transom. This is so any spill will not enter the boat. Of course it then goes over board into the water, creating a spill, which is illegal, and you will have to pay for clean up and may also be fined. But anyway that's where the fills on a boat that size usually are located. Make sure though that you do not mistake a water tank fill for a fuel fill. Water tank fills are also usually on the side decks. The fills are normally labeled, but it might only be a small symbol in the cap. see Attwood Marine
  5. jjhamm22
    Joined: Jan 2019
    Posts: 23
    Likes: 2, Points: 3
    Location: PA

    jjhamm22 Junior Member

    Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I found it on the side like you mentioned. It was under the folded down antenna, so was a little hard to see (that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)
    troy2000 likes this.

  6. sdowney717
    Joined: Nov 2010
    Posts: 1,175
    Likes: 84, Points: 58, Legacy Rep: 274
    Location: Newport News VA

    sdowney717 Senior Member

    To prevent spills, put the vent back to the fill like the car does. New fill design have vents attached.
    And use a towel around the fill as a dam , it can soak up a lot of fuel, better than having fuel run down into the water.
    I switched my old style separate vent to an EPA approved Perko vpr (vapor pressure relief) valved fill and love it as it also helps preserve the fuel from mixing with humid air.
    It spins down and clicks just like your car.
    I use an Attwood fuel demand valve as the fill cap can pressurize the tank to 1 psi.
    The valve goes inline right at the tank output connection and uses a rubber hose.
    The demand valve can only flow fuel if the fuel pump pulls it from the tank. See if your tank has even 1 psi, and you disconnected a fuel line in the boat, fuel would squirt out the tube end, the demand valve stops that from happening.
    No charcoal carbon trap needed, its just a poor idea. You want the fumes to stay in the tank.
    My fuel stays fresh now for years in the tank. I have had no water in fuel problems with this crappy E10 gas, it can be quite horrible on the boat.

    I have noticed tank seems to develop a tiny vacuum rather than any pressure using this setup. The fill cap is double spring valve vented, so normally stays closed, no exposure of fuel to humid air. Except if engine is running or venting excess pressure as in it heats up, it will stay closed most of the time.
    rwatson likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.