THIRST for WATER, valuable beyond words

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Jul 3, 2010.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Very nice, Brian. If only my saving water in my part of Alaska could somehow help the people that bred beyond their means in some other place, if not washing clothes in San Antonio could clean up the river they dump sewage and bodies into in India. Well, to educate these peoples and help them to help themselves is a greater cause than many other goofy paths we take to ease our collective conscience. Thanks

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

pages 13-17
    ..."it covers most of the planet, but only 3% is fresh water"
    ..."and most of that is ice"
    ..."less than 1% of all fresh water is readily accessable for human use"

"Less than 0.007% of all the freshwater on Earth is available to drink"

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Very well-done presentation. Short but effective phrases make sure that the message will remain impressed into reader's mind. I will share it.

Water shortage is something we already have to cope with, at least in this part of the world. If it doesn't snow or rain enough in winter and spring period, we know what we can expect in the summer...

The whole point is in that tooth brushing comparison: 4 gallons with the tap running, 0.25 gallons with the tap off. Shut the tap - that's all it takes. It is not that difficult to save big quantities of water, a good will is all that is necessary.

5. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I always turn off the tap when washing my recyclable garbage for proper disposal.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah,

some communities in Germany accept yoghurt cups at the recycling court * only when cleaned! I have to waste potable water to "clean" my litter!

Then they "recycle" it by burning it in the power plant, just because the plant "needs" enough kcal. input to remain profitable.

*of course you know, that we have to bring our crap in! They do not collect anything but average "household" litter. Which does not include any glass, plastic, paper and metal.
    Instead of providing collecting points (containers) like in the civilized world (Hamburg and the like), in southern Germany, you have to bring the **** to the collection court.
    >>>nice idea to see your 85 year old neighbour walking 5 miles for getting rid of the crap<<<

Good luck, there are better parts in the world.
    In Turkey they have 7 year old Gipsy girls, carrying a 150kg load of litter through the roads. Worth 2 $...........

Was it off topic?

Sorry then, but must get it off my chest.

Regards
    Richard