these turbine alternaters are easy to make

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Boston, Apr 1, 2009.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

No point in a "call to base" service as they probably do not have "24/7-on-the-water-patrols" - best to just deter with a pizeo, and have a hidden camera that can also take some pictures of the offender/s - but to call your pocket CB or where you have cell-phone service - to call you on your own mobile may be valid - but remember, on the water things go "fsssst" and die more often, - so - no fancy sophistication, just simple, easily replaced/fixed solutions...

Furuno Radar M-1623 would probably do or 24nmi instead of the 16nmi if you must, but the 10minute watch normally and 5 minutes on a night passage... - - I am looking at the
    - - The Furuno M-1623 is a high contrast LCD radar designed for pleasure craft. Radar echos are presented in four shades of grey on the 6" Silver Bright LCD. The radr offers detailed pictures of coastline and targets at short ranges thanks to narrower pulselengths and dual IF bandwidths. The waterproof display makes for ideal flybridge or cockpit installations.
    - - Standard features include EBL's (Electronic Bearing Line), EVRM (Electronic Variable Range Marker), TLL output (Target Latitude and Longitude), Cursor L/L input/output, Echotrail, Guard Zone Alarm, Anti Clutter Rain, Automatic Control of tuning and sensitivity. These features ensure optimum performance in detecting and ranging targets of interest.
    - - The operator can select from Normal, Off-Centre, Zoom and Watchman Mode. In the Watchman Mode the antenna is stopped and the transmission is off while the screen display Nav Data only. The radar wakes up at specified intervals (user may select from 5, 10 or 20 minutes) and operates for a minute. If a target enters the Guard Zone an Audible Alarm sounds and the radar goes into full operating mode, cancelling the Watchman mode. The Alarm may also be set for a target leaving the Guard Zone.
    - - You can see a Waypoint on the high contrast LCD when the radar is connected with an optional GPS Navigator. The Waypoint is indicated as a "Lollipop" mark for easy identification and location.
    - - Features: - - * High Contrast 6" Silver Bright LCD - - * 13 Range Scales from 0.125nm to 16nm - - * Stylish Compact Radome style antenna with 3 rotation speeds to ensure high update rate of targets whilst using low range scales - - * Low power consumption (8 watts in Watchman Mode) - - * Reverse video feature for effective night viewing - - * Improved short range target detection by using narrower pulselengths and dual IF band bandwidths - - * Zoom Window for close observation of a specific area - - * Guard Zone

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Just put an electrical charge thru your SS hand rails and have them set off a
    loud audio alarm while giving a painful shock then tou can come awake with your auto shotgun.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

har har
    I was thinking of buying the "street sweeper" automatic shot gut but then I thought of how much kick that thing would have and my theory is I need my favorite if slight girl to be able to pick up any of the weapons in a pinch and get the job done cleanly an precisely
    without hitting things she was not aiming at
    including me
    a simple slug chucker will do
    hell all she has to do is wing em with that thing and its good bye black beard

way to make a suggestion Mas
    those things are common cheep and reliable near as I can tell by the articles I just read

~ $1.400 at the discount place

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Do your maths as to height above water for the radardome, to pick up an object near max range in a 12ft plus swell, whilst cruising/making passage for example a 60ft to 80ft fishing boat out trawling... - I would guess at around 24 ft a.s.l...

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well that boat did come with a traditional ( marconi ) radio mast on it
    looks about 25' off the water to the cross T's

on a whole other note

[​IMG]

The milivolt fan is
    powered by the
    temperature
    difference
    between the base
    of the fan
    and the vanes.

one of you geniuses want to explain how this thing works

and here is that pellet mill
    makes 350 to 600 lbs an hour from sawdust

[​IMG]

all I would need is the actuall mill part
    I can do a PTO from somewhere in my system

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Boston, when considering genset, consider subaru robin gas or diesel. These are just great engines. I'm putting a 24hp gas in as a lift engine in a hovercraft. I am sold on Subaru and the thrust engine will be a J22 subi or a 2.5 also.
    http://www.robinamerica.com/series.aspx?sid=24

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I reconsidered
    you may have a good point there
    on a hot day I might just not want to light a fire
    a back up that is conventional is a good idea
    and
    thats exactly the kind of off the rack easily handled autonomous rig I would have chosen

this company makes some pellet making stuff but its mostly to industrial for what I need

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.agrifeedonlineexpo.com/kimages/178_t.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.agrifeedonlineexpo.com/content.php/28/177/pellet_pros_small_pellet_mills.html&usg=___SuhQHhl825qE4mGGI5C1shk0q4=&h=61&w=82&sz=4&hl=en&start=10&sig2=DM8UCrbsjvo7R7TYWEm_PA&tbnid=em3I1NP1pTrFdM:&tbnh=56&tbnw=75&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dportable%2Bpellet%2Bmill%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&ei=6fvfSaOjE5PwnQfmgPmPDg

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Subaru's small generator has enough power to run an AC sized to cool a good size room. Would love to see you build this cruiser boat. You certainly have the abilities and I love wood heat and power too. If you can keep the beam at 12' you can put it on a freeway W/O pilot cars. Just flags and a wide load sign. That does have advantages which are unknown at this time.
    How about combining these 2 threads into one and call it BOSTON"S BOAT....................................

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

The Thermal Engine Corporation Introduces Heat Wave, an electricity-free wood stove fan.

I thought this thing was just slick

[​IMG]

the original lines are drawn at 12' beam but that was a real early model
    I showed it earlier with the barrel back and its obviously skinnier than the later widgen or elco 57

but subsequent yachts developed into beams of about 13 to 14'
    it adds a lot of room
    I might be willing to suffer the extra few thousand to get it to the water for a life time of extra room
    its the height that is what I have to watch
    cant remember exactly how high they were about 11' but I shipped some windows to Utah once and it was a special permit for the height
    would have been worse had I been one inch higher
    if you go higher they make you go over all the bridges and move all the lights
    so one thing Ill be doing is checking with the shipping company and the highway dep for available routs to nearest deep enough water

I am going to build something
    just not exactly sure what yet
    I thought if I was a little more transparent with my thought process I would get some great ideas from you guys

thing is I can twist and bend these lines into what beam and length I want so its been a gas deciding what works best
    the Widgen design is only 46' and seems a bit cramped but I have made a drawing of it stretched to 62' and it looks great
    the flat top design is 57 and could also be stretched to 62' but it ends up pretty tall
    although I would ship either with out the superstructure attached but rather as a kit kinda thing that you crane into position once at the destination
    both at the 62' end up the same 14.07' beam although Elco made a ww1 version at 80' with a 12' beam
    the English called em Cinderella's cuase they lookes so sweet and moves so well
    used em for sub chasers and powered them with two 220 hp gas engines

its not really the my boat page as much as Im just trying to find what combination of technologies work best
    and I kinda like the old school yachts
    simple, durable and dam seaworthy

10. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

There is a national height standard but state hiways and some railroad bridges may not comply but freeways do. Sorry, but I don't know the exact but believe it is 14' so do not try to pass over covered bridges. Stan You do not want to destroy a landmark bridge. humor

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

would want to wreck a perfectly good bridge with some dam fool boat would I
    I can see it now

and the bill for getting the bridge

on a dbbl drop trailor you can move a 11' load under any highway bridge
    and as it just so happens I have a plan to make that hull keel to stem top
    exactly
    11'0"

and
    as it just so happens I have a clear path to the nearest highway with all lights meeting highway standard for clearance

oh just got the materials for this thing

[​IMG]

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

This is the other design Im considering

[​IMG]

its a consolidated design 46'
    Ild be stretching it to 62 if the design wins out over the flat top

nice stoves R
    and the winner is

[​IMG]

the reason I liked this one bellow

[​IMG]

is that it has lots of room for boiler coils and a large window for that romantic ambiance

13. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

leave the halibut open and make a snap on screen for love.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

good plan

Im sure the girl will understand if I jump up and take a minute to adjust the stove

15. masalai

masalai masalai

But, but but the big door is the "oven" is it not? - where is the romance in a little 6" x 4" vision of the endgrain of the burning splits?