The use of a decision matrix to prioritize SOR items in the boat design process

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TANSL, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Oh well, you just told me ‘‘ I understand English quite well ’’ and we communicate for 100% in English here, so what's the language problem here ?

And, dear buddy of mine, you completely ignore the below part of post #84 why your main request here is not fulfilled, why is this ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That tract is full of assumptions as to what may, or may not happen, if the elusive diagram of a boat design decision matrix appears. I think we can worry about that when it happens. At the moment, it is like asking for photos of space aliens ! :)

3. Angélique

Only bla.. bla.., and still no answer to post #86 to mark out evidence for your claims about what other people said here.

rxcomposite likes this.
  4. Mr Efficiency

I rest my case. :)

5. Angélique

<removed>

Then while we go on, I'll hope for a response to post #83 . . :)

Note:this is a picture, the links will work in the original post #83

Decision Matrix Method post 83.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. Mr Efficiency

A matrix requires a grid, in my experience. I don't see the grid anywhere ? With the parameters ? With the weightage ? With the ratings ? Comprenez-vous ?

7. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Need to interject a request here: let's please keep the thread kind to one another. Thank you.

8. Angélique

So what do you think, would it be possible to set up a Decision Matrix grid for the above (in post #83) proposed example ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  9. Mr Efficiency

Not on the scant information provided.

10. Angélique

Yes, I understand the parameters are needed to fill in the grid, do you think it would be useful to do so in this case, if adequate parameters were available ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BTW, I'll need to go to work, so do you mind if I fill in my part of the conversation at some later time ?

If there's anyone who likes to jump in, then please don't hesitate to do so . . :)

11. Mr Efficiency

Hard to say whether it would be useful or not, in this particular instance. Might even result in the wrong decision, conceivably. This is why I want to see some actual examples, to better understand the concept as it might apply to boats.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are misunderstanding the scientific method. It is not restricted to any particular endeavor or discipline. Further, I think that most of your arguments have been facetious. It is akin as telling me that unless I use an example of using a measuring tape on a boat, you won't accept it is useful.

13. Mr Efficiency

I doubt the "science" in ascribing notional, somewhat arbitrary values, both in ratings and weightage . If you multiply two values that are a little "off the mark" together, you can easily get a product that is well off the mark. It very much lacks the precision of your measuring tape. As for my "facetious arguments", I consider myself well justified in being unswayed by people who cannot provide a single practical example of what they declare so valuable, a boat design decision matrix. Laughable ! I have used matrices to good effect in matters unconnected with boats, my interest was in getting a better understanding of where they might fit into boat design, and a good practical example would be the best demonstration of that, rather than "trust me, this is a good idea".

14. Mr Efficiency

Right, I am not afraid to play "show and tell". I attach an example of a matrix to make betting decisions on race horses, which was successful, less so today with more sophisticated analysis in use. It should be largely self-explanatory, but arriving at the "strength" of the individual parameter ratings, which would be for things like barrier positions, jockeys etc, dozens of others in practice, was a matter of a great deal of trial and error, which could be done in theory, without betting, working off past results. Even the final score threshold, that decided whether to bet, varied according to the track, type of race, etc. A complication with assigning ratings was that some parameters were more "synergistic" than others. and other positive scored parameters with them became more than the sum of them individually. Some looked good on their own, but nothing much else "added value". They would have to be marked down, or eliminated as factors to be included. The whole decision exercise was done quickly, on raceday, using Excel macros. The key point here is that a great deal of experimention could inexpensively be carried out using spreadsheets, to determine what "worked", that is, maximised $ gains. Doing that with boats, much more difficult, the experiments would not be known to work till launched and tested. So, the way I see it, you might easily say a boat was designed using DM, but there is little to say it helped or hindered, even if satisfactory. There is not much chance of contradiction in that situation.

Attached Files:

15. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Experience of...??

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.