The perfect Passagemaker? (style within this genre)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 8, 2010.

?

Which one is your preferred style of long range cruiser?

1. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46218d1281296336t-perfect-passagemaker

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46219d1281296383t-perfect-passagemaker

23 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46220d1281296396t-perfect-passagemaker

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46221d1281296423t-perfect-passagemaker

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46222d1281296441t-perfect-passagemaker

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46223d1281296454t-perfect-passagemaker

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46224d1281296476t-perfect-passagemaker

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. [url=http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/perfect-passagemaker-style-within-genre-these-opti

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  9. [url=http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/perfect-passagemaker-style-within-genre-these-opti

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

....diamonds are a girls best friend.....

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Good question Will.

The romanticizing transfiguration of "going to sea", seems to sit deep in most of the prospective buyers of a vessel with the given capabilities.
    Though going to sea was never romantic when we are talking business....

Personally I did like Norman Fosters approach with "Izanami" or Martin Francis "Eco" (both far above the size we are talking here, of course), but when I would have to choose my personal favourite, it would be found amongst the first few of my list.

Regards
    Richard

3. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

I can find contemporary styling I like in the size range, I don't think that's the issue.

Typically it will be GRP (and that's OK too), large fuel capacity but gi-normous engines that preclude 'passagemaking'. And wide beam planing hull-forms that don't lend themselves to modest powering.

No doubt its a market driven thing. We are looking at a small niche of the industry in this thread. Probably a growing niche, as I keep hearing anecdotes of impressively styled and fitted cruisers that never go anywhere because of the cost of feeding the beasts in the engine room in these challenging economic times.

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

You might interpret the popularity of the more traditional options as rejection of modern superyacht design which is slowly permeating down the size chart. In the past yacht owners blended in with yacht and commercial vessel styling whereas todays owners compete for ever increasing vulgarity. I suspect the more traditional designs received their votes out of a longing for seaman like, modest and functional design over the current over indulgent marina styling compeition vessels we see today. Not that I want to go off topic Richard.......

5. wardd

wardd Senior Member

after the Liberty ship, style has gone down ever since

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

Liberty ships? They were horrible, (bigger than the directive herein), and pieces of crap, to boot! Please Google to make certain you are not thinking of something else...
    Tho I voted North Sea Trawler, there is another genre I'd like to present - I'll try to get a pic today.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Mark,
    The NST reeks of seaworthyness, salty seamen smoking pipes, the north coast w gillions of sea gulls, seals, waves and a rocky coast ...thump thump goes the trawlerman's heart but the NST just isn't BEAUTIFUL. When looking at a NST we see a black 4X4 truck that exudes strength and masculinity ..fine and especially fine here in Alaska but we're looking for BEAUTY ...think Jaguar.

Easy

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Few posts by so far have been more on spot than this one.............

9. RHP

RHP Senior Member

What about this one?

Olav Ostensjo Jnr

Built as a rescue ship for the NSSR (Norwegian lifeboat service)
    Has been retired for some years. This looks like her berth in Bergen
    Will doubtless be in Stavanger in a week or so for the start of the Offshore Northern Seas conference and exhibition.

Attached Files:

• Olav.jpg
      Olav.jpg
      File size:
      123.8 KB
      Views:
  10. mark775

mark775 Guest

RHP, (First, I see that the thread has changed a bit again and a new genre within this genus is not welcome so I'll scratch the pic I was going to post) The lines of that hull are truly gorgeous. The cabin, to me, needs either more wood or less. Personally, I vote for less. But that hull, she's a fine one!

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I'm guilty of liking the fantail steamer as if that was some kind of big surprise

would definitely be my first choice if I thought it would survive the pacific northwest and I could afford such a size boat as the one in our parameters

12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Mark 775 will like this. Here is a trawler probably created by converting an old USFS patrol boat. Many of them were converted to fine trawlers. I felt this was/is a style many of you could relate to having the fine graceful lines typical of the 60s "gentlemens" yacht and the salty look of a very heavy duty boat that has probably tossed aside with effortless grace many a 10' sea. This boat is very similar to the NST but looks quite different and I think is beautiful. I took this picture this morning to post here. She was at anchor and the wind wouldn't send her broadside but I was able to get out on the end of a pier and shoot through a window at max telephoto w the camera braced against the window frame. What luck .. I took 2 shots and both came out.

Easy

Attached Files:

13. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I would disagree with the suggestion that contemporary and vulgarity are obvious bedfellows... there are however, glaring examples, both old and new, where one could be forgiven for thinking they'd been sleeping together for a very long time!! Richard brought up the name of Lord Norman Foster... his most recent creation tops my list of contemporary examples (of Fuggly, that is...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  14. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

... there are examples though of simple, good looking (IMHO) contemporary craft. This fits the bill, which although not a motoryacht, is in the size range. Not outrageously cutting edge... certainly not vulgar...?

Attached Files:

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well, the statement about the bedfellows could have been mine! Most "contemporary" styled boats are not only vulgar, they are obscene, plebby.....
    And Sir Norman Foster should have left the scene after his first (successful) attempt. I call that boat really "plebby" to the last extend.

The motorsailor you posted looks much more like a capable cruiser and combines well tradition, function and style.

That is a pity, I would have been very interested to see your proposal. Please bring it up.

And it is wrong that something changed here! We just got rid of the idiotic sailing catamaran disturbance.

Thanks for sharing that (and your effort), a really nice looking vessel (except for the in the US ever so popular "fire fighting monitor".

Nice example Richard!

Here we see some sort of transition between the NST and the forward positioned pilothouse which is common in the US.
    The latter provides much more useable accommodation on main deck level, but one pays with a much less comfortable steering position.

Thank you all!

Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.