The perfect Passagemaker? (style within this genre)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 8, 2010.

?

Which one is your preferred style of long range cruiser?

1. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46218d1281296336t-perfect-passagemaker

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46219d1281296383t-perfect-passagemaker

23 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46220d1281296396t-perfect-passagemaker

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46221d1281296423t-perfect-passagemaker

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46222d1281296441t-perfect-passagemaker

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46223d1281296454t-perfect-passagemaker

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46224d1281296476t-perfect-passagemaker

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. [url=http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/perfect-passagemaker-style-within-genre-these-opti

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  9. [url=http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/perfect-passagemaker-style-within-genre-these-opti

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Ok. :D

1 person likes this.
  2. apex1

apex1 Guest

By so far nobody found the time to draw a sketch I guess...?....:D

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

What a demanding client you are turning out to be!!:D
    Righto - as a 1st 5 minute scribble....

Attached Files:

• wra.pdf
      wra.pdf
      File size:
      261.3 KB
      Views:
  4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

When the time comes for engine replacement ,

will you be carving a hole in the side , or removing the vessels interior?

FF

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Fred- with Richard's taste in engines, replacement isn't likely to happen. He's picked a big Grenaa that is designed to be completely rebuilt in place when its time is up- at which point very few of us will still be alive to watch.

Having said that, I am very much in favour of having a "soft patch" above the engine room- just in case something big (even the Grenaa diesel) needs to be moved at some point in the future.

6. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Nowt in the forepeak? If we dont want a crew cant we create additional space? I hate cramped conditions....

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks Will! Yepp I am demanding.......;)
    Moving the owners stateroom aft to be closer to the centre of movement is already planned. As well as a enlargement of the engine room to full width and a tad towards the bow. Another 20cm draft will provide sufficient headroom in the aftmost part of the eng. room. And it will give her more beef. A cofferdam between eng. room and fore ship accommodates the bunker capacity, partly removed from eng. room.

The split level Galley / dinette arrangement I like to keep though. It provides more net. space than a main deck arrangement, and does not enlarge the "house" too much. The character of the boat will be gone, if I install the galley on main deck level.

Still much left to be redesigned.

Richard

We will invite your grand- grandchildren to solve that problem, hoping you bequeath your geniality to your successors!

What I say!

The same is valid for the Mitsubishi set at 500hp / 1350rpm

The "soft patch" is not a solution on the North Sea Trawler, due to the split level deck arrangement.
    On all my wood epoxy boats we have such a spot. We build a frame above the main engines, as if we would install a hatch. But then the opening is covered by removable beams and a removable sheet of ply. Then we lay our teak floor on it. In case of engine replacement one only has to lay the floor new. But these boats are much different with high revving, high power engines (barely ever used), there a replacement is much more likely than with these little ships.

The Trawler (as the Yacht) will have a arrangement of tanks and equipment, besides the engine which allows opening the hull on one side to remove the entire engine without the need to destroy half of the compartement or equipment. That is the common approach on all larger vessels. (if anyone wastes a thought on it)
    Many Megayachts (at least those from the top yards) are layed out to be cut open every other year, to replace gensets. They even provide overhead crane beams to move them sideways out.

As mentioned above, the accommodation will be redesigned. But the owners stateroom will shrink a bit instead of growing! The plan is to have one double bed for the owner couple, and a small "heavy weather bunk" opposite the owners SR.

When you ever tried to sleep in one of these idiotic SR´s in the forepeak, to torture you optimal, with your head towards midships, with cushions falling down as soon as you close both eyes, you know why I don´t do that.
    Sleeping in a king size bed in bad weather is impossible. Hence a separate weather bunk.

Regards
    Richard

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok kids I dont post much on this thread but speaking of sleep I just read this about the first good storm to hit the PNW and I was just curious how this perfect passage maker would do getting through the Columbia bar

25' waves 10 seconds apart is bound to be right about at the limit of this length vessel isn't it

ok so you wait for better weather but still even off shore they are calling for 35' average wave height

we have discussed a lot of stuff but not really how this perfect passage maker survives when caught out and whats the fatigue factor if you survive ok but get tossed about so much you cant get any sleep for a few days

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

These vessels are designed to stand the conditions on a winter storm at the North Sea. That is quite some nasty corner of the oceans. The famous Hoorn is less demanding.
    Barriers, bars and the like are a severe danger for every boat, no matter the size. One just has to avoid barriers in heavy weather, that is it.
    I guess many of the members from the PNW area can tell you what happened to those not avoiding the region in some storms.

Being out at sea is less of a danger, due to the longer waves which are far less steep over deep water. (the North Sea isn´t deep)

The "heavy weather bunk" is thought to be designed like all the classical bunks have been, with a high sill, making it possible to fit in tight and safe, and using a lee cloth/canvas.

Regards
    Richard

10. Milan

Milan Senior Member

When you are tired enough, you’ll sleep. For the rest, well, just have to endure it all and develop sea legs.

Few photos of the North Sea fishing boats in action:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. apex1

apex1 Guest

....and still fishing....

Though I wonder where the bikini girls are in the third picture? Even the seagulls are not walking on foot...:D
    That is not weather, thats holiday. But you know that Milan.;)

12. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Yeah, North Sea has a lot's of atractions ;)

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

BTW

Tad?

Any news from the PML front?

14. wardd

wardd Senior Member

you allow girls on your boats to wear bikinis?

15. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

In Northern Europe girls wear or won't wear whatever they like :p - Men there are much less sexist, while prude at the same time, than in the USA

Cheers,
    Angel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.