The Environment: Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Jimbo1490, Oct 10, 2006.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Don't suppose you have any ideal what Science is do you?

2. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

The 'trick' now is that the great universities and the government will not fund research which they have reason to believe will not support their current 'pet' idea that GHG is causing climate change. Then they say "Look, all the studies and scientisis say that OUR theory is valid, therefore...) But they don't tell you about the many eminent scientists that disagree; they don't have to because there are few published studies to help corroborate these dissenting opinions. Why? NO FUNDING! So along comes Exxon and a few others to fund this type of research. These scientists rely on grants to survive, so they take the money. Sound far fetched?

Excerpts from an interview with Dr. William Gray:

A few years ago, you almost called it quits because you’d lost so much funding. What made you continue?

G: I don’t have the budget that I had, so I have cut my project way back. I am in retirement. I’m still working every day, but I don’t teach and I don’t have as many graduate students and as much financial need. I’ve got a little money from Lexington Insurance out of Boston, and I have some National Science Foundation money. For years I haven’t had any NOAA, NASA, or Navy money. But I’m having more fun. Right now I’m trying to work on this human-induced global-warming thing that I think is grossly exaggerated.

You don’t believe global warming is causing climate change?

G: No. If it is, it is causing such a small part that it is negligible. I’m not disputing that there has been global warming. There was a lot of global warming in the 1930s and ’40s, and then there was a slight global cooling from the middle ’40s to the early ’70s. And there has been warming since the middle ’70s, especially in the last 10 years. But this is natural, due to ocean circulation changes and other factors. It is not human induced.

That must be a controversial position among hurricane researchers.

G: Nearly all of my colleagues who have been around 40 or 50 years are skeptical as hell about this whole global-warming thing. But no one asks us. If you don’t know anything about how the atmosphere functions, you will of course say, “Look, greenhouse gases are going up, the globe is warming, they must be related.” Well, just because there are two associations, changing with the same sign, doesn’t mean that one is causing the other.

With last year’s hurricane season so active, and this year’s looking like it will be, won’t people say it’s evidence of global warming?

G: The Atlantic has had more of these storms in the least 10 years or so, but in other ocean basins, activity is slightly down. Why would that be so if this is climate change? The Atlantic is a special basin? The number of major storms in the Atlantic also went way down from the middle 1960s to the middle ’90s, when greenhouse gases were going up.

Why is there scientific support for the idea?

G: So many people have a vested interest in this global-warming thing—all these big labs and research and stuff. The idea is to frighten the public, to get money to study it more. Now that the cold war is over, we have to generate a common enemy to support science, and what better common enemy for the globe than greenhouse gases?

Are your funding problems due in part to your views?

G: I can’t be sure, but I think that’s a lot of the reason. I have been around 50 years, so my views on this are well known. I had NOAA money for 30 some years, and then when the Clinton administration came in and Gore started directing some of the environmental stuff, I was cut off. I couldn’t get any NOAA money. They turned down 13 straight proposals from me.

Jimbo

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Nope do you? Tell you one thing tho' I can tell the difference between Science subjects and boat subjects! which appears a little more than some can! In case you ain't guessed boat forums is supposed to be about boats! Doh! Nuff said!

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

as for DR gray;after 50 years what did he acomplish? or is he another example of parasitic survival off of the tax payers.?Yes the enviornment is in trouble,,,,GM and all the other big companys are relocating to 3rd world countrys that ,dont have epa or osha or any other standarts for living , it is ok to dump toxic waste at the doorsteeps of the comunity,look at Mexico ,,so many children born with birth defects all of the sudden,,,,,,,what about south america? asia and so forth?,,not to mention low wages> here is the truth,,if I dump oil in the sea ,,I will be crucified,,if exxon dumps mega tonnes of oil in the sea they pay a fine that is a tax writeoff,,,,and benifite to them,,,,,,the truth is money talks and ******** walks ,,,,,,yes the enviornment is in trouble,,,,,,,longliner

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

This thread is in the "open discussion", and it's about "The Environment: Is it really that bad?"

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yes Raggi I agree, but it is still a 'boat forum' so one would expect it to contain something about boats - always thought a good Norwegian would understand and agree with that!

7. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

As Dave Allen the late/great Irish comedian used to say. " I don't drink water,fish fornicate in water and little boys do even worse things".

Mychael

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

At least for me, pollution in the ocean has something to do with boats.

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The life cycle of our sun,is half way through and change is the only reality and certainty, as time it`s self is just an invention of Humans for calculating the change that takes place.History always shows change in everything and in my small life time I have seen many changes in the World I live in.With a bit of luck and a lot of good management Humans will move from earth to who knows where,but it must happen for survival of the species.Sustainable management is a myth and a buzz word for fools if demand by increasing Human and animal populations continues to out strip this planets resourses.

10. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

William M. "Bill" Gray, PhD is a pioneer in the science of forecasting hurricanes.[1]

Nicholas Riccardi wrote in the LA Times:

William M. Gray pioneered the concept of "seasonal" hurricane forecasting — predicting months in advance the severity of the coming hurricane season. Gray's prognostications, issued since 1983, are used by insurance companies to calculate premiums. [2]

He is Emeritus Professor of Atmospheric Science at Colorado State University (CSU), and head of the Tropical Meteorology Project at CSU's Department of Atmospheric Sciences. Gray is noted for his forecasts of Atlantic hurricane season activity. Professor Gray served as a weather forecaster for the United States Air Force, and as a research assistant in the University of Chicago Department of Meteorology. He joined Colorado State University in 1961. He has been advisor of over 70 Ph. D. and M. Sc. students. His team has been issuing seasonal hurricane forecasts since 1984.

After the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, Professor Gray announced that he was stepping back from the primary authorship of CSU's tropical cyclone probability forecasts, passing the role to Philip J. Klotzbach. Gray cited that he was devoting more time to the issue of global warming.

11. longliner45

tomorrow its going to to rain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,somewhere

12. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Sustainable management is a myth and a buzz word for fools if demand by increasing Human and animal populations continues to out strip this planets resourses.[/QUOTE]

So what we really need is a good healthy plague to thin a few billion humans out, as unlike the majority of animals (in their correct environment) we don't have the instincts or common sense to limit our numbers.

Mychael

13. longliner45

we have several wars going on right now ,,,,,will that help?and im still waiting for a reasonable answer from jimbo,,,about dr,gray

14. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

I considered mentioning wars then decided the numbers are poor. Much more industrialisation creating it's own mess creating the weapons of war then the people number reduction. Nope I'll still hedge my bet on plague and disease.

Mychael

15. longliner45

mychael,,,you are one sick puppy lol,,lets tak about dr gray,, I fished in the 80s and 90s in the gulf of mexico ,,were where his pridictions then?I rode out many tropical depressions and 4 hurricans ,,where was he ?just becase someone has a PHD in something,,,,,,,, dont mean nothing if they dont have scientific facts to back them,,like I said ,,even I can predict the weather ,,,,,,,,its going to rain tomorrow ,,,,,,,somewere,,,,,,,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.