The end of the world is near....... what Yacht will you build?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wellydeckhand, Jun 16, 2006.

?

What u will choose if seawater rise 50M and u need to find other land but............

1. Monohull Sail Yacht

29.3%
  2. Monohull Motoryacht

4.8%
  3. Monohull Motorsailer

12.3%
  4. Catamaran Sail yacht

17.1%
  5. Catamaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  6. Catamaran Motorsailer

10.8%
  7. Trimaran Sail Yacht

12.0%
  8. Trimaran Motoryacht

1.1%
  9. Trimaran Motorsailer

4.6%
  10. Dont Know?

1.4%
  11. Stay at land and hang on something

0.9%
  12. Find a submarine........ hopefully

4.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansp77

hansp77

It is the sentence at the end that does it.
    Most of the ice is not in the water.
    There is considerable ice buildup on land, anchored and above the land on the sea, above the snowline and in glaciers.
    The raising and lowering of sea levels due to the ebb and tide of ice build up, and ice-ages is well known and well evidenced.
    Human kind owes ice ages and the land bridges created by the dropping sea level for a lot of the spread of civilisation.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The BBc broadcast a documentary here in asia on saturday evening. It was about global warming. I cant possible recall all the details but some of the most interesting bits were that the US is 25% the cause. They boadcast words from Bush himself, "reducing emmisions to the expected level would not be such a good deal for Americal" ( deal ? well its not a deal is it? , it not easy for any of us) any way he said that this would cause too many lay off and closures.
    An expert!!!! said that we have 4-5 years to do something or caps will melt to the point where we will care.
    A person in government who was too outspoken of global warming was dismisesed after faxes (shown on the documentary) were sent to the government from Exron who suggested that this man be removed.
    The 2 ton 6 liter Hummer--apparantly very popular in Texas does 12 miles to the gallon but purchasers of this American built vehicle would enjoy tax relief . Plus lots more interesting stuff.
    However some car munufactures in America are trying to push forward vehicles that use clean fuel, But this was to reduce Americas relyance on oil.

So-- get thinking ,--- Mmmm I think I will still go for the barges.

3. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Barge with the bar n girls................:) Try to draw and post it.... ok:D:D:D

WDH

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Yes, Jack - they showed that on BBC World on yesterday - pretty good documentary. It's just a shame that all the bushites didn't see it.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Inland lake, 100 m above sea level. I think I'm safe for a few years :D

I find it interesting how we often refer to the changes we are inducing in our climate as "global warming". Yes, the average global temperature is slowly increasing, and yes, it's in perfect sync with our emissions of CO2, methane, etc. And yes, the current level and rate of increase of atmospheric CO2 is unprecedented, as far as we have been able to trace historically via ice cores etc. But the net warming doesn't affect us nearly as much as the far more violent swings in extreme weather that have become commonplace recently. In the last decade there have been more severe Atlantic hurricanes (cat 4, 5) than in any previous decade in recorded history. There have been more droughts, more typhoons. This is what will mark the new climate we are creating- stronger, deadlier, more extreme weather. So anyone planning to go to sea needs to be prepared for stronger storms, etc.

The Internet, GPS, etc have been mentioned a few times. The internet is a distributed network; the closest thing it has to a central hub is ICANN, which is heavily backed up and multiply redundant. While there might be local outages I don't think it would be easy to take down the whole thing. GPS is a bit different; it is still under the full control of the US military. Since they're pretty screwed without it, GPS will probably be maintained pretty well so long as the US military is standing. I don't think the EU is counting on this though, as there's still talk among them of getting a better, internationally controlled navigation system in place.

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Funnily enough theres something far more reliable and cheaper than GPS its call celestial nav. Unfortunately you have to be intelligent to use this (which is why only 'thick' third world countries without money use it - MMmmmm!). WT Radio sets of different levels sort out the internet and if that don't work try pigeons! or flags! Anyone remember morse code? We just don't need this super technical stuff (OK it's nice to have but we don't need it)!

7. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

In my part of the world a lot of us can even tell the time at night just by looking at the stars..evening and morning stars..the direction for Mecca,etc..:)

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Safewalrus--- I understand from the telly this morning that it is 92 degrees in Uk today,--- Jeesus I cant ever remember having temperature like that. I remember 85 once. Old people cant handle that.
    As far as telling the time by the stars, well I guess some countires dont have the luxury of being able to see them for most of the year. But yes Ari I do that too, if I look out of the port window I can see the southern cross, and if it sourounding stars tilting to the west then its time to stagger out to the aft deck for a pee. As you can tell im not very good at it,( telling the time not peeing) niether do I know what I am looking at.

9. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Yes, but those unbalances (freak weather) are a consequence of the global warming and they will increase, till a new balance is reached ( a couple of hundred years or so).

Shity weather around here. We have had an unusually hot June...and now it seems that it is September, with thunderstorm skies and all that.
    I am going to be cruising next month. I guess that I will get plenty of wind:) ...and rain:rolleyes:

take a look:

Attached Files:

10. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I am always attracted to beer things and information about it. However you must have a reall good speed over the there in Spain. I waited a minute and had only managed to down load 5% of the mega thingys required.
    1 minute to down load 5% would mean that I would have had to wait ,---Oh--errm well a long time.
    Any way it does appear that we share a similar hobby.

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

20 minutes ;)

13. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

One mega at this moment (download) as by the speedo. I almost drink the beer directly from the screen...:D :D
    (Although the company claims 2 megas... :( )

14. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Nostalgia of days by gone..

Too bad..you miss it..lucky for me..i quit alcohol so long ago..real life experience is not much different with what on the video..esspecially in a real dark bar..haa..ha..ha..suddenly there is a police rush..they on all the lights..even a jug of beer can't help to improve those babe looks..ha..ha..ha.. I like that video clip..!

15. tin_soldier

tin_soldier Previous Member

I know a catamaran have a generous deck space compared to Trimaran for the guys in the wheelchair.

But I prefer a monohull, I can jump and balance very fast with my powerful overworked arms, I can manage most task on a boat with less difficulty than the guys on wheels.

Usually, we are more motivated to try sailing than normal people and better survival option because we have more spare time.:)

tin