The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

you move the stands,,then paint the spot they were in,,,,hmm ;)

2. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

yea, but wouldn't that leave a "witness line" ???? Of course, if you say it's ok to do it that way then it's ok. I would think that spraying it would be fine, but to roll and tip the boat would leave a small impression in the paint where the two painting sessions came together.

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

????????????? That's bottom paint. Unless you plan to trailer the boat what do you care about lines and overlap??? The paint is made to dissolve anyway. You only need to roll and tip from the water line up. Unless you are painting a go fast or something that does not stay in the water

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

the stands are on the bottom,,,in the "bottom paint" not the awl-grip topcoat,,,,and if you can see where the stands were on ya bottom paint,,,,,then you have major problems,,hehehe,,;)
    ya bottom paint you can just roll on and walk away,,then do them "spaces" later

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

OK, sorry, just having a slow "mental" day....hahaha:idea: :eek:

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya,,,bout 8 days behind us,,,hehe ;)

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

all right,,,i heard a new 1 yesterday,,,wait till ya hear this,,it isnt about awl grip,,but its about paint,,and kinda proves that ya shouldnt put ya faith in the "paint reps" or ANY kind of engineer (sorry engineer dudes hehe) so here it is,,
    i got called by an oil company to paint their meter boxes for gas,,,,and they wanted me to paint it with some new paint they found,,,,,,( water soluble paint, thats resistant to salt water (brine water),,,,HAHAHAHAHHAHA
    i laughed so hard at the dude,,he got mad,,hehehehe,,,then called me later,,asked if i thought epoxy paint would work,,hehehehe ;)

8. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

meter weather

you have to dip those in varnish....@#(*(*@#$(*(^@#%(*^#%:p

Hey, Grady,
    did ya ever get your spray rig done????
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hehehe,,,i hate varnish *#@@#*&^^% hehe,,,i think the "paint gods"s ate Grady ;(

10. grady

grady Novice

Chewed up a bit, but not swallowed

Hey Guys, I'm around just laying low.

And to anwser your question RR2 no I haven't yet purchased the new gun. It's still in the high 20's at night here, may reach 45-50 some afternoons but not on a consistant basis.

So I have been trying to get some of the things I can do in this weather ( not much) done.

They tell me it's spring, but i'm too buzy chipping ice to notice.

11. grady

grady Novice

Here's to you Much

Don't think your good behavior has gone unnoticed. You have been taking your pills as prescribed haven't you? We can all tell when the wheels on your bus start to wobble.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

yes,,,,hehe,,,im taking my pills as prescribed,,,but i see double sooo hehe ;)
    and glad to hear you got patience,,,not having some has RUINED alot of otherwise "good" jobs.,,and the longer you wait, the MORE $ ya saving for a gun right???? hehe ;)

13. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Timer to start practice:

Grady,
    45-50 means 65 in the sun and that's good enough. Time to start practice.
    Go get some polyurethane and something like a car hood, or just a big 4' X 8' sheet of white formica would be great (hang it on the vertical) and start shooting. If ya want, send me your address and I'll let you use one of my guns. I'm not going to paint much this summer, if I do I'll buy a SATA. You just have to promise to send it back when you're done...........OK

14. grady

grady Novice

Humbled

RR2................ Thank You for that most generous offer........I am overwhelmed. But it's something I couldn't accept, I know you make a living using these and other tools of the trade, and I wouldn't be comfortable taking it out of your arsenal.

Also I think it's important that I get real familiar with the gun I'm going to use on the finish coats so borrowing yours would only bring a new adjustment period down the road.

Again I am overwhelmed, But I'm also kinda a screwdriver nut (love tools) (gotta have um). So I'm looking forward to getting the new gun. (and don't forget my CFM shortcomings).

And thanks for all of your concern, with this new interest I'll be ordering the gun by weeks end.

15. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Let's practice shooting that Awl-Grip stuff

No problem, let me know if you change your mind.
    Ya know, gravity feed guns are pretty good......also, when I shoot something, I don't look at the reading on the pressure value, I don't calculate the pressure from the gun or anything else, all I do is just fill the gun with paint, or whatever, and just adjust from feel.....that is all I do.....if the material is thick, I up the pressure and speed up the wave with my arm, if the material is thin, I turn down the material flow and move a little slower.
    Right now, I couldn't tell ya what pressure I shoot at; If the compressor is ramping up a new fill on the tank then I adjust to that, if the day is cold, I adjust to that.
    What can I say, that's the way I do it, can't tell you how to do it, you get the feel and nothing else matters, not even the gun, ya just know........so practice.....that's how I got it.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.