tall stories in short supply

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 2020, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its simple,--- Dawins theory of evolution.

Small people were in a lot of trouble a long time ago because they would'nt stop hanging them. Lets face it a lot of people got hung in those days for just about anything,-- stealing bread for instance meant you went to Australia!!!! or you could be hung. It would appear that most people quite wisely chose hanging, and who can blame them?

This resulted in a lot of short people dieing out,-- where as-- the long people could not be hung because their feet hit the ground before the rope got tight.

Long people lived. It is also a lot to do with vitamin C,--my mom told me.

2. Greenseas2

Greenseas2 Senior Member

Tall vs small

I'm only 6'2" tall and have scaled down in boat sizes from 47' to a 20' Pacific Seacraft Flicka as the years pass. The sleeping accomodations work well but the head is a different story, Once in the enclosed head it's like Houdini being in a trunk wrapped with chains. You had better plan on staying awhile just to figure out a strategy to get out. Remebering all things boat, you have to realize that a boat is a boat and seaworthyness comes before comfort in most cases. While I can't stand up straight in the Flicka, I can get around easily enough and am satisfied with every aspect of the boat.....except the head which I can enlarge.

3. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

One of the aspects of finding “the right” design for me is my tallness. At my tallest I was “only” 6’2” – but becoming a bit more geriatric, I’m shrinking – either that or my son is taller than his claimed 6’3”. :eek:

Regardless, one of my current dilemma’s is just like Greenseas2 mentioned – head space. And it’s not exactly related to the actual size of the head compartment and the gyrations required therein. Rather it’s the fact that the interior design I prefer has the head and galley (and vee berths) located forward of the pilothouse.

Essentially all that would be in the PH would be the Admiral’s and Captain’s seats along with a generous sized (convertible to a guest bed) dinette. Then an aft open deck for the remaining length of the boat – about 9-ish meters.

But having the head & galley forward means that I need that elusive headroom in a place that makes the proportions awkward at best. Everything appears too tall and that gives all the drawings I’ve done look – well, amateurish and decidedly ‘homemade’.

Just to be clear, I’m speaking of semi-planing and full planing hull designs. This is not an issue with displacement hull forms. Displacement hulls have plenty of room under the waterline to facilitate plenty of headroom for us folks that can still see a parade while not standing at the street curb.

A lot of these proportion issues can be solved by a judicious few inches more freeboard and a bit more crown on the trunk cabin roof. But it is a delicate balance between “Sweet lines” and “Hmmm… Interesting boat, design her yerself did ya?”

Best,

Leo

4. Mammoth

Mammoth Crazy little boy

At your height, I can only recommend a really big boat. Something with a few televisions kind of big.

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Mammoth,

Unfortunatly being tall & rich have no direct direct relationship.

I too am tall, but far from wealthy.

Tim

6. Mammoth

Mammoth Crazy little boy

Which is good, because then little babies would be quite poor. (Then again they don't have any money)

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A 2 television boat?---Thats about 45 -50 feet.

8. Mammoth

Mammoth Crazy little boy

Exactly! :D

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Go home theatre and a ball room. Speaking of which the disco lights have blown a fuse in my cruiser. That's another problem with a large boat, it's going to take me weeks to find the fuse.:confused:

Poida

PS I can't remember where I've stored my ladder either.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If you cant find stuff this is what I normally do.

Put your hands in your pocket,-- lower your head, shut your eyes really really tight,-- and then--- try to remember where you put it.

11. 2020

2020 Junior Member

well heavens, seems a short nerve has been scratched! aside from the joyous insults from the pygmies (welcome, envy the common theme) the unfortunate truth seems there are NO designers the members here can recommend who might have even a small clue (pun intended).
    for the record, the boat we are designing is something along the lines of a 20m steel staysail schooner not a filthy stinkboat cruiser. The lamentable state of design today seems to be to take what they want / are used to designing, and to change the colour to suit a new client. David Lyons recently said on-air that he has not yet encountered a passionate or talented naval architect student in many years. They seem to be of a type that prefers working for institutions. shame eh?

1 person likes this.
  12. 2020

2020 Junior Member

BTW, said I was off to the sydney international boat show, more of the same franchised international same same same...... nice if you're short and like fishing or tupperware.

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

14. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Thanks for nothing Bergalia, you are assuming that we had the same designer, a very slim chance of that. For example where you have got your crew's sleeping quarters could very well be where I have the heli port.

Now for 2020, couldn't think of a name he, 2020 how much imagination did that take? Yep, having your brain in a rarified atmosphere must be a problem.

Now, boat facts.

The lower the weight in a boat, the greater the stability. So, having a body with say 200 grams of excess leg bone would probably require around 50 Kgs of excess roof extension in an area that reduces stability. I again reiterate, "Tall people do not belong in boats."

(well heavens, seems a short nerve has been scratched! aside from the joyous insults from the pygmies (welcome, envy the common theme)

You appear to have a great sense of humour 2930 sorry if I've misspelt your name. So your above comment was obviously meant to be a joke.
    Due to the fact this thread has the theme of "Gee I can't find a boat I can fit into, I wish I was shorter."

Now, let's get serious here.

Because of the afore mentioned stability problem, I don't think it is a good idea to extend the roof of the boat to overcome your disability.

It would be far better to deepen the hull and weigh it down with lead so your feet are in fact further down into the water. This is good because when you are in your boat you will look normal.

Something like a duck, nice and calm on the top, but paddling like **** underneath.

I'm leaving now in case you live in Perth and I meet you in the street.

Poida

15. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

2020, I've pmed you. Regards from Jeff.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.