SWATH design ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by newbeeee, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Before even going into anything "technical"...read the small print:

upload_2023-1-29_7-53-58.png

:rolleyes:o_O:confused:

jehardiman and BMcF like this.
  2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Q : "Please Sir, can you explain the difference between a Catamaran and a Swath? Which is better? "

A : "Google it. That is what Google is for". :)

But here is a caveat re Google - explained very well by Vas in post #183 on this thread on the YBW Forum -
    Mangusta 70 - 80ft (1996 - 2004) Advice https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/mangusta-70-80ft-1996-2004-advice.591600/page-10

"I'm trying to explain to my students that google alone is NOT your friend, you do have to do some reading to understand basic concepts and be able to judge what's been fed to you by stupid search engines that mainly replicate "facts" based on # of hits."

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Lisa Akoya - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Akoya

How about this one with the whiskers that look like they function as both wings and hydrofoils?
    Seems like the idea could be that the foils get the hull above wave impacts before takeoff/landing speeds, and maybe some WIG effect to reduce speeds on takeoff/landing.

4. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

That concept simply uses some hydrofoil lift instead of achieving all the hydrodynamic lift with a planing hull...to do exactly the same thing as just the planing hull on other sea planes. Any WIG effect would be small.

5. MichaelGS

MichaelGS New Member

At the risk of confirming my stupidity, it thought swath was a type of catamaran. Hence why I didn't ask which was better, but what are peoples thought on the concept. Whether we call it a swath, a catamaran or Neptune's undercarriage wasn't really the question.

6. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

It's obviously just a "concept design". As far as producing that as a real vessel, it seems to display an extraordinary amount of structural complexity (and hence cost) with no obvious benefit. Perhaps the extra wetdeck clearance would provide some relief from cross-deck wave slams...although I doubt that design is intended for operation in large waves.

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

No, a SWATH is not a catamaran except in the most simplistic definition of catamaran. As I said back in post #18 of this thread, SWATHs and catamaran hulls are selected and designed for entirely different requirements.

Also, FWIW, I would expect the "Quad 44" depicted in your post to be poorly performing both as a SWATH and as a catamaran. There are reasons there are no SWATH passenger vessels in that size range (as BMcF said it's a structural complexity and weight issue) and the design as presented does not possess the necessary seakeeping features for either a SWATH or a catamaran that one would expect of an open water vessel.

bajansailor and BMcF like this.
  8. Squidly-Diddly

A "tri" SWATH with big center underwater hull with amas sorta like an Indy class LCS with big top structure spanning the amas. I heard an underwater body such as a torpedo can move with less energy if close to surface and "doming" some water over the top. So maybe a Tri-SWATH with amas would have the amas well in the water at rest but at speed the vessel would rise a bit so the amas were skimming/planning and the center hull would be doming but still fully submerged.

I single underwater unit should both reduce wetted area and be more practical as single large interior space.

Put big wings between the amas and main hull superstructure for WIG at speed with big flaps to give way when hitting waves.

9. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

LMAO.

First...John Meyer's HYSWAS did demonstrate the benefits of a single tubular small-waterplane hull design with about 40% of the vessel displacement on the fins when it was operating at design speeds. Superb results..never replicated ever again for any commercial, naval or recreational craft purpose. Too bad..that. As for your wild ideas of some magic craft that could transition from there to being airborne...we'll need to wait until we can design and build such craft with structurally adequate materials that have nearly zero weight. Won't be in my lifetime...I'm sure of that. I'm out..this thread has gotten too silly.

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

The 2 hull forms are poles apart.

What is its objective??

Indeed...lot's of stupid hair brain ideas, because it 'sounds' great.
    No real practical application, nor understanding either, of what is required, just a bunch of ideas thrown together to be come one..where all are competing against each other, but sounds "cool"..:oops:
    Not to mention..what is the SOR?

11. Squidly-Diddly

https://www.foils.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/AliSWATH_FFI_07_JMeyer.pdf
    Great minds think alike, I guess. I wasn't thinking of airborne, just maybe taking a load off enough to make the amas skim lightly, as I've heard that airfoils create lift more efficiently that a planning hull, thus the MPGs of WIG vs speed boats, and maybe the wings would provide stability or damping at speed, IDK. The Meyer boat makes sense but seems like it would be a bit high strung and tender. I'm thinking amas like a Indy class LCS would be more carefree as well as provide an excuse for lots of nice flat interior volume.

12. Ari Lea

Ari Lea New Member

I do not want to bother the honorable professional designers out there but;
    Sometimes I just get some buring ideas, and I wonder, why isn't this done. Then once ins a while later, I found it has been, maybe after I thought of it. Go figure.
    Anyway, one thought is at a link and one is a basis skematic. I will just deposit these and be on my way, happy that I maybe tickled someone else's dreaming.
    Link (apparently 5k people have looked at it already) H2OK Hydro-Kite Sailboat | 3D Warehouse https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/63101d8374b10c25bae3d599feddd51e/H2OK-Hydro-Kite-Sailboat?hl=en

And then there is this - FlareCraft; (Chears and enjoy, forgive the mis-spellings, I'm multi-tasking today)
    Parafoil Flarecraft.png

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.