Superyacht Tender bay

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by tallen, Sep 15, 2007.

1. tallen

tallen Junior Member

Hello, I am working on a Superyacht design and I was wondering what are the typical heights for a tender bay. (I am planning a lift up door and pull out tender) (assume less then 30' tender).

Is 8' enough? or do i need more like 10,11,12 etc... Whats the shortest I can go and still deploy a twenty some foot tender

2. Hotel Lima

Hotel Lima Junior Member

As far as I've seen the standard is 5-6'. You can go shorter if it's just a rib. It really just depends on the tender it'self and how much more future expandibility you want.

3. tallen

tallen Junior Member

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I think your best approach would be to spec some appropriate tenders and look at the space requirements their manufacturers recommend, then add however much clearance is needed for a crane capable of handling the weight of that tender. There's so much variability in existing designs, it really depends on the intended use and the particular type of boat that will occupy it.

5. Hotel Lima

Hotel Lima Junior Member

I didn't realize you wanted one that big, but yes, marshmat is right. It depends on the tender and crane.

6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Ok, this comment is me talking through my hat. But perhaps the location of the tender bay will be a factor? I would want the margin of a little extra height for a hull side bay over one through the transom. Although you can find plenty of examples of hull side bays with tight clearance.

Kelly Cook

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.