SuperFoiler 2018-2019 Season

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Race 3-Great video as usual with these boats when there is wind!
    The more I watch the more I think a small center lifting foil on a vertical strut(formerly known as a daggerboard foil) on the main hull would more than pay for itself by keeping the main hull in the air. Without it, the main hull is constantly touching down= drag. In addition, it would be interesting to eliminate the dual rudders and have just a single rudder T-foil on the main hull. Then the "mainhull touchdown" would be eliminated with ,probably, no increase in wetted surface or weight.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sat Dec 17, 2018

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

SuperFoiler Promo:

5. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Great to see full length in depth coverage of a race, instead of 5 second clips mashed together.
    Also an interesting contrast to the 18ft skiff racing of 10 years ago. I see them as in the same spirit, but although the superfoilers are so much faster and more powerful (I presume!) they look so much more in control than the skiffs. I presume (again) that the foils increase the stability hugely, but also that the superfoiler crews are likely to be at a higher level of expertise generally? Incredible speed of development of the tech, materials, theory...

Doug Lord likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.