Such a cute little butt... errr transom... errr... aft quarters.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lewisboats, Sep 15, 2014.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

This is a massaged version of the original opening post hull. Doesn't look much the same but at least the LOA hasn't changed...

[​IMG]

List of tweaks include...
    -rework of the bow shape... which added 6" of waterline length.
    -reduced entrance angle and hollowed the entry a bit. Increased difficulty with bending the plywood though.
    -2"+ added to beam
    -flattened the shear a tad and lowered the bow freeboard a bit too.
    -aft run/buttock straightened and draft reduced to 6.5" @ 640 lbs displacement.
    -another 1.25" added to freeboard.
    -Transom was widened by the same %age as the rest of the hull.

I shortened, widened and re-angled the fin but it was giving me issues with my hydrostatics so I exported it as a .part and deleted it from the model. That way I can import it if needed. Still... it might change altogether for the final model.

2. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

I like it. Looks better than the one in the OP. :)

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Me too, though why the beam change? Those garboards will be a ***** to get to hit the stem, but doable if you hold your jaw just right (curse softly).

Sheers are a ***** to draw, as they never end up looking the same in real life. A general rule is, if it looks like a wee bit too much sweep in the 2D profile, it'll probably be just right sitting at a dock or on the trailer. I've found if you flatten it out in the 2D profile, to make it palatable, it looks way too flat in real life. Simply, if you want say 3" of bow sweep, draw it at 5" - 6" and it'll look right in real life.

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

This one is pretty sweet. To help get the waterlines straight in plan (in the bow area) try a tiny bit of curve on the garboard. A little goes a long way so to speak. This will address some of the first point I've left in quote. Yes the lower plank is always a tricky one. If you do build this, drop me a line and I may be able to help you out with pretty extreme curvature in the local bow area.

The aft run is always debateable, there are quite different ways of approaching it. To my mind, the key is to avoid rolling badly (sort of traditional shapes) offwind, avoid nosediving (too much aft dynamic buoyancy ie skiff), so find some sweet compromise. Some of the more modern boats show quite subtle but important trends worth using, and they behave quite well minimising the traits outlined above. The chine(s) will help offwind towards the stern, so definitely better in that regard. Harder to say about rocker aft, depends how far you want to push it!.

Good work, and great to see you thinking along those 'lines'....;)

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Am I the only one that can't see his drawings?:(

6. lewisboats

I expect there is an issue with Angelfire... I can go to the correct directory and view the file list but when I try to view the actual file I get the "404" message. Server down or drive crash. Hopefully they have redundancy.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I can see Steve's posted images and I can open his site, where there's a disclaimer about dead links and stuff.

8. lewisboats

"We're Back, We're Bad, You're Black... I'm Mad" I think is how it goes... :D

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I was taking this all very personally as I thought I was blocked or something. :D Nice design. My next build is going to be plywood with square sides. I'm so tired of fairing at this point. I'll be eager to see your next build.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.