Submersible Sailboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by uber33t, Apr 24, 2005.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Not sure just how serious this thread is meant to be or has become over the years, but I'll have a go.

First issue is, all boats (or any other human creation for that matter) are a compromise between conflicting requirements, the need to float, the need for lightness, the need for low cost, the need for robustness and survivability. This case is not different in nature, just more challenging.

The main conflict here is the weight of a structure robust enough to submerge and keep its air-breathing occupant(s) alive for a significant period and return them to the surface vs a structure light enough to be half-way efficient as a sailing vessel.

Adding a sail to a conventional submarine is not going to work too well, the sub will not have the heeling resistance to hold up the amount of sail that is needed to move such a weighty craft at a reasonable speed. At the other end of the spectrum, sinking a regular sailboat tends to be a one-way event.

OK, so let's separate the functions. That can be done by having a small submersible carried by a larger sailboat. When things get nasty, hop in the sub, down you go on a loose tether until things calm down and zip back to the surface to deal with whatever eventualized up there.

Worst case: the boat sank but you're now in the best lifeboat ever: best case you're back under way once the sailboat has been cleaned up, dried off, and repaired as required.

Returning to the surface when the sailboat is still afloat can be achieved by hauling on the tether so resources need not be expended for depth control. If the sailboat sinks, indicated by the tether pulling down - then release the tether -and operate the one-time return to surface mechanism. This approach renders the system doable, at least.

Some savings might be achievable in the sailboat design which no longer has to keep its occupant alive in a storm, just survive the storm untended. Boats have done that, even if not designed to.

Now to brace for the storm. Where's my submersible lifeboat, dammit!

2. VicRohe

VicRohe New Member

Another possible solution to the "mast drag" problem would be just not to have one. A kite sail, like used in kite boarding might be employed. The problem with this approach would be (1) low wind & (2) the kite launching process. Still this approach might be worth exploring. Maybe some type of hybrid. Think about it. What have you got?

3. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

The boat could be equipped with a platform carrying a rocket launcher. Attached to the missile, a kite can go up.
    On the platform we can also make a big fire: The heat will keep the kite up in light wind conditions.
    What I wonder: Why is no one raising the question of a (submersible, of course) FLYBRIDGE?

4. saewytch

saewytch New Member

submersing a trimaran

in bad weather it is possible to pump water into the outrigs of a trimaran to weigh it down. best done in coastal setting. also when my f22 if capsized it is possible to flood one of the pods, collapse them (trailerable) and right the vessel. the f22 is a small coastal vessel and therefore capable mostly. sure would be nice to be able to submerge at sea.

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Would not the forces of turbulant water be far greater partially submerged then on the surface? I would want to be on top of the wave not in it.

6. saewytch

saewytch New Member

forces

hi! yes in open water. this is a high wind shallow water storage solution for like; a hurricane. the trimaran is so light it would just blow away in east coast hurricane conditions. so you anchor it, tie it to a tree and weight it down. the draft is negligible so you can go right up into an estuary or river and do that. i haven't had to do that, but you never know. i don't really want to do that. but it is an option.

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

In this case, one could look to nature for inspiration.

P

Attached Files:

8. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

are you charlie sheen

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Why not just start with a Lifeboat and stick with it?

Not a true submersible, but the best compromise?

Schat-Harding ff1200
    http://www.petro.no/modules/module_123/proxy.asp?C=14&I=16108&D=2

I like David's (rambat) design, the mast snorkel is an excellent idea too.

NOTE: I would use retractable dagger keels to counter the overturning forces of the sails.

Attached Files:

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

That’s not what dagger keels do . . . to carry sail it would need increased stability, which would compromise its ability to self-right, or a weighted keel, which would compromise its ability to float when holed, and either of those changes will result in it's no longer being a lifeboat. That's why I proposed the separation of function design approach.

11. kach22i

kach22i Architect

12. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Emmm: On drugs?

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I'm inspired.

Attached Files:

14. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I can foresee the Coast Guard getting multiple reports of a sinking sailboat.:D

15. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.