structural design of fast small boats < 12m

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by ringoo83, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

Structural design rules of high speed small boats < 12m

What rules have to be applied for the purpose of structural design of fast small boats < 12m ??
    If I assumed that a 6 m monohull pleasure boat with 20 knots speed, complies with the eq. that deifines a high speed craft according to HSC code; Is it still right to use the GL (Yacts & boats up to 24m) rules or I have to chande to GL HSC rules.

After a fast review of some rules I noticed:
    ABS HSC Rules applicable to crafts > 12m
    ISO 12215-5 applicable to crafts up to 24m
    GL yachts and boats rules applicable to crafts up to 24
    GL HSC – applicable length is unknown???????

I'm really confused.

Appreciate any advice especially in regard to the free rules.

Application Limits of (ABS) HSC Rules:
    This Guide is applicable to high speed craft for commercial or governmental use constructed of steel,
    aluminum, or FRP and having V / L not less than 2.36 where L>12m
    Vessel Type Applicable Length
    Mono-hull < 130 m (427 ft.)
    Multi-hull < 100 m (328 ft.)
    Surface Effects Ship (SES) < 90 m (295 ft.)
    Hydro Foil < 60 m (197 ft.)

According to High Speed Craft Code (HSC Code):

A high speed craft is a craft capable of max. speed: 3.7 Disp.e1.667 m/s
    where Disp. (m^3)

(INTERNATIONAL CODE OF SAFETY FOR HIGH-SPEED CRAFT, 2000), unless expressly provided otherwise, does not apply to:
    .1 craft of war and troopcraft;
    .2 craft not propelled by mechanical means;
    .3 wooden craft of primitive build;
    .4 pleasure craft not engaged in trade; and
    .5 fishing craft

ISO 12215-5.2
    Hull construction — Scantlings — Part 5: Design pressures for monuhulls, design stresses, scantlings determination

This part of ISO 12215 applies to determination of design loads, pressures, stresses, and to the determination of the scantlings, including internal structural members of monohull small craft constructed from fibre reinforced plastics, aluminium or steel alloys, wood or other suitable boat building material, with a length of the hull (LH) according to ISO 8666 of up to 24 m. It only applies to intact boats.

Germanischer Lloyd. 3 Special Craft - 3 Yachts and Boats up to 24 m

1.1 Application
    These rules apply to pleasure craft of length L from 6to 24 m and provided that the pleasure craft classed and approved in accordance therewith are at all times employed exclusively under the conditions for which they have been designed, constructed and approved
    and that they are in the sense of good seamanship correctly handled and equipped and operated at a speed adopted to the respective seaway conditions

2. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

Go with ISO.. a friend of mine told me that the ABS rules for vessels with L<24 m has been omitted to give space for ISO to fill up that vacancy.;)
    So, my suggestion is ISO.. all the best..

3. Alik

Alik Senior Member

ISO12215 or LR SSC

4. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

Iso-12215

Alik,

I have noticed in many of your posts that you use ISO-12215 for your designs, I can't buy this standard but I got the initial public draft of it which was made in 2004. Could you plz tell if there is any modification/differences between this draft and the current ISO 12215

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  5. Alik

Alik Senior Member

ringoo83, You better use final version of standard for official assessement. The draft works, but there are some changes - say, definitions of design accelerations, etc.

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would agree with ISO. The EU uses the RCD, (Recreational Craft Directive) which is taken driectly from ISO.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.